Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15662

Quick update i have managed to rebuild the front suspension and cleaned all the parts before assembly. I have replaced the brass bushings in the rear arms with ballbearings and managed to graft together a steering servo saver from odds and ends lying in my toolbox as it never came with the original item. I have found a spare AS12 Acoms servo i had lying about and have mounted it all up i just need to make it fit the chassis now.

I found two original servo mounts from an old Galaxy i took apart for spares years ago so they fit a treat. I have hit a pothole however as when it was originally built 'someone' forgot to put in a 6mm washer on the front steering assembly (see pic 1) the spring is supposed to have one top and bottom but the builder has only put one on the bottom. A little wierd as the other side is correct? Anyway i have 6mm washers but they are all a little too thick and fully compress the spring the original item is very thin and allows some movement. Im stuck until i find a solution on that area.

Anyway thanks for looking ill try to get a little further with the building but im fitting it in between DIY and work at the moment.

P.S I have been in touch with Kamtec about a Frog rear wing to replace the original the wings are only
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15730

I think Kamtec are down south somewhere (Plymouth rings a bell) so going to fetch the wing will be out of the question. Oh the joy of postage costs...

As for your washer, washers come in various "forms", most common being Form-A & Form-B (These being thick, & thin). Unfortunately, I can never remember which is which. Have a hunt on the net for washer info to find out which ones are the thin ones, then search for "Form-? washers" on Ebay.
I've more than likely got the thin version here - if you get stuck, let me have the dimensions & I'll have a hunt about (Need I/D, O/D & thickness)

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15734

If you get stuck, I should have a number of these washers spare, which I can post in a letter, or sticky tape to a postcard. Otherwise you could try and nut and bolt store,

regards

Johann

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15763

Another quick update managed to rebuild the rear gearbox assembly replaced all the brass bushings (x 4) with bearings and have managed to mount the steering servo in to the chassis picka are as it looks at present ill update when i have managed to get a little further.

Thanks for the advice ref the washer ill have a dig around and may send you the spec eddrick if i get stuck :y:

Thanks for the offer Yogi bear but i think the postage may be high? if not id really appreciate it.

Thanks for looking

Attachments:

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15767

Ooer, it's got a bit of a Holiday Buggy gearbox thing going on there! Does it have a cover?
Quite an interesting car all round really

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15771

Hi Tamiya Nut nah, this postage to send a letter to the UK is listed as $2.60 AUD, or a $1.60 if I tape it to a postcard, dunno if the postal people would like that one though. That other parcel, if it has been 10 mm shorter would have been at least half the price. I'm still urked it cost as much at it did. I've received similar sized parcels from UK etc and its never been that much. I think out postal system here is just expensive in general.

If any Aussies on here know of the cheapest way to send stuff outside of Australia, I'm all ears.

Also do you drink wine? I can add in a

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15796

I think Kamtec are down south somewhere (Plymouth rings a bell) so going to fetch the wing will be out of the question. Oh the joy of postage costs..

Kamtec are in Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, about 3 miles from where my mother-in-law lives. I might try and drop in next time I am down there.

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15801

Ooer, it's got a bit of a Holiday Buggy gearbox thing going on there! Does it have a cover?
Quite an interesting car all round really

Absolutely :y:

When does it date from? i.e. is it an advanced Holiday Buggy or a really backward DT02? :whistle:

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15832

Thanks Yogi bear if you could find and post a washer id really appreciate it as i have looked through my spares and cannot find one to match :( thanks for the offer of the wine voucher but im more of a real ale guy maybe someone else can use that.

Sorry JR my knowledge on Marui spans as far as this car so im unsure accurately when these where manufactured and i cant see a date on the build manual? Maybe someone who is a collector could tell us? it is an interesting car though which is why i decided to fix it up as i have enjoyed cleaning it up. Your tip on the de-solv-it paint remover really paid off this time though :y:

Eddrick i never thought about it until you mentioned it but your right it does look like the Holiday buggy gearbox set up but thankfully this one is fully enclosed with a case :y:

I have been thinking about a cheap speed controller for this to get it up and running i have noticed some really cheap ones from china see the link below. Do you guys think this will run it ok? or am i wasting my money should i go for a teu 101 or similar?

www.ebay.co.uk/...35bef558e3

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Marui Hunter 11 years 5 months ago #15838

Hi Tamiya Nut, no problem, I'll get that washer posted today.

I've only found a little on the history of the Galaxy. I bought mine new in 1985/86, and they seem to be around for only a few years. I believe the company still exists and makes air guns and accessories, but no longer make rc cars. There seems to be about 5 or 6 cars that they made. From memory, Galaxy, sportier version of the Hunter, was aimed around the Grasshopper, Hornet price range. I saved up for mine first RC car (parents may have chipped in a little) and I vaguely remember wanting a Frog, but it was just out of my price range, and I nearly bought a Grasshopper (it might have been slightly cheaper). Well to be honest I want a hotshot, but that waaayyy out of my price range.

As a side note I still have my 1985 Tamiya catalogue guide. In it, the hobby store had written the prices of each of the cars I was looking at. I am assuming these are kits with radio gear etc.
The Grasshopper was $249 AUD
The Hornet $279 (a friend ended up buying one of these)
A hotshot was $379
A Frog was $329
I must have been interesting in the Super Champ
its listed as $399

So here prices haven't changed a whole lot in some 25 years.

My Galaxy certainly wasn't without its issues, but I do have a lot of fun memories with it and don't regret it as a first car purchase.

Tamiya Nut, if you are interested in a set of rear tires, there is one currently on ebay.

but I suspect it will not go too cheaply.

for anyone, I just checked the wine voucher and you enter it online, so if there is anyone here who is interested, I'll send you the voucher codes. Its a

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.