Keyword

TOPIC:

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77047

Oh absolutely! Great start and for me the box is one of my favorites along with the King Cab.

Keep us posted with pics!!

Yes, the box art is fabulous, but the box and manual cost me more than the model! This is absolutely a classic case of falling down the rabbit hole, and how our crazy minds work to justify things in this hobby:
* I have a vintage Blackfoot that came with the yellow shock upgrade. When I fully restore it, I want to put vintage black shocks back on it . . .
* I couldn't find just the black shocks, but oh look! - I found another Blackfoot that still had them and it came with a vintage lexan body and vintage radio system that I didn't have yet, so that "paid for itself" LOL!
* I don't need two vintage Blackfoots, so I decided to maybe create a Mud Blaster runner on the cheap, using the extra lexan body from my re-re Brat . . .
* Oh look, a Mud Blaster manual for sale on ebay! - nabbed it.
* Oh look, a Mud Blaster box for sale on ebay! - nabbed it.
* OK, well NOW I need to do better than a cheap runner, so need a legit body . . .
* Oh look, a Mud Blaster body kit for sale on ebay! - stalked it, sat on the fence, contemplated how I got here, negotiated a tiny bit of savings - nabbed it.
* Looks through the manual to see what's what, and realized I needed some more parts to make it right . . .
* Bought a servo brace, MSC and wheels/tires
* I'm swollen with motors, so that wasn't an issue.

So . . . six hundred dollars later . . . and I still need black shocks for my Blackfoot 

But I'll have a Mud Blaster! 

Or, maybe I can put the upgrade shocks on the Mud Blaster?!? 

You don't realize how much I identify with what you just said....
It's totally that.... all the time....

I say to myself, I'm going to buy this cheap model...and then I spend 3 times the initial price on spare parts...of course vintage originals that cost a lot.

I'm glad my wife doesn't realize how much I spend on my various projects...

Oh, I forgot, I must have some black shocks for your Blackfoot or Mud Blaster...if you're interested...

I'm very thankful for this safe space, where I never feel alone and people share the madness 

I would be very interested in a full set of vintage black shocks, if you'd part with them - shoot me a PM if you find them.
It's funny because it's not that I don't like upgrades, it's just that I like to be as near stock as possible for at least the official "reveal" of a finished restoration. I might very well restore the yellow shocks too, and install them on a model some day
IG_tamiyaddiction
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77048

Oh absolutely! Great start and for me the box is one of my favorites along with the King Cab.

Yes, the box art is fabulous, but the box and manual cost me more than the model! This is absolutely a classic case of falling down the rabbit hole, and how our crazy minds work to justify things in this hobby:
* I have a vintage Blackfoot that came with the yellow shock upgrade. When I fully restore it, I want to put vintage black shocks back on it . . .
* I couldn't find just the black shocks, but oh look! - I found another Blackfoot that still had them and it came with a vintage lexan body and vintage radio system that I didn't have yet, so that "paid for itself" LOL!
* I don't need two vintage Blackfoots, so I decided to maybe create a Mud Blaster runner on the cheap, using the extra lexan body from my re-re Brat . . .
* OK, well NOW I need to do better than a cheap runner, so need a legit body . . .
* Oh look, a Mud Blaster body kit for sale on ebay! - stalked it, sat on the fence, contemplated how I got here, negotiated a tiny bit of savings - nabbed it.
* Looks through the manual to see what's what, and realized I needed some more parts to make it right . . .

So . . . six hundred dollars later . . . and I still need black shocks for my Blackfoot 

To be fair, I think all of us has gone down that rabbit hole at least one time! LOL!
Your thinking has hit my head more than you known 
​​​​​​​Only thing stopping me is the wallet is empty most of time lol
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, GToddC5

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77050

Who hadn't spent more to restore a rc than the rc price?😂
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, GToddC5

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77060

I'm very thankful for this safe space, where I never feel alone and people share the madness 

I would be very interested in a full set of vintage black shocks, if you'd part with them - shoot me a PM if you find them.
It's funny because it's not that I don't like upgrades, it's just that I like to be as near stock as possible for at least the official "reveal" of a finished restoration. I might very well restore the yellow shocks too, and install them on a model some day

I'm just like you. 
When I do a restoration, I want everything to be as original as it is out of the box.
The only exception I make to this rule is the ball bearings. All my models are fitted with them, without exception.
I have some Hop-Ups too, but most of them are not installed...I even hesitate to install Technigolds...
But the worst thing is that I bought a Boomerang simply because it had a Technigold, and when I restored it (post will follow shortly) I put back an original motor.... which, of course, I paid for on eBay.

Anyway i got this for you:

I got a few spare parts if you should need anything else 

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, GToddC5

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77063

WHOA!! Its like you guys all live in my head, LOL!!! Yes to all of the above RC failings(or should I say victories once the resto is done!!)

Here I thought I was the only one! 

Luckily one project can help pay for the next !
The following user(s) Liked this: GToddC5

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77064

Luckily one project can help pay for the next !

The problem is that i don't sell the models i restore 
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Scanox, GToddC5

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 1 day ago #77066

Can't say it never happend to me...
The first time was the Hunter... I found one incomplete car. Then got two wrecked chassis with parts to complete it, but there was still some missing parts... Then you get parts and at some point you can rebuild the car... But by that time, you may have about 3 incomplete cars to complete... And it continues, because most of the time it is easier and cheaper to buy a wreck car than to find new parts... I have rebuild 2 Hunter, 1  Galaxy and 1 Galaxy RS, and I still have to be completed : 1 Galaxy, 1 Galaxy RS and at least 2 Hunter, maybe 3... And until I complete that project, I can't let parts go, because I don't know what exactly is missing or not... But let's be clear, this is the worst of rabbit hole projects I went down...
I learned a lot with that one, and I'm trying to reason myself considering new purchases : trying to find chassis that are at least complete (or just missing a very few parts) is a life saver : at some point you need to be able to complete projects, and having too much uncomplete project running at the same time is never easy, nor good for health!!!
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 18 hours ago #77074

Can't say it never happend to me...
The first time was the Hunter... I found one incomplete car. Then got two wrecked chassis with parts to complete it, but there was still some missing parts... Then you get parts and at some point you can rebuild the car... But by that time, you may have about 3 incomplete cars to complete... And it continues, because most of the time it is easier and cheaper to buy a wreck car than to find new parts... I have rebuild 2 Hunter, 1  Galaxy and 1 Galaxy RS, and I still have to be completed : 1 Galaxy, 1 Galaxy RS and at least 2 Hunter, maybe 3... And until I complete that project, I can't let parts go, because I don't know what exactly is missing or not... But let's be clear, this is the worst of rabbit hole projects I went down...
I learned a lot with that one, and I'm trying to reason myself considering new purchases : trying to find chassis that are at least complete (or just missing a very few parts) is a life saver : at some point you need to be able to complete projects, and having too much uncomplete project running at the same time is never easy, nor good for health!!!

My hardest lessons have been the Falcon and Super Hornet rabbit holes. I started with a basket case Falcon, got another basket case for parts, decided I wanted NOS parts where feasible, so now I have two full projects. I found a ratty box (but a box nonetheless) and decent manual, so I'll hold on to those for my "keeper". The second will be more of a survivor build with all correct parts, but not perfect, so no idea if anyone will even want to buy it. I believe I am now near 1k into that Falcon mess, and realize at this point (too late) that I could have just sprung big money for a NIB kit! Then I can't even recall the whole Super Hornet timeline debacle, but I find myself about 1200 into 3 models just to get one perfect in the end. Ugh.

That's why I didn't even play around with basket case 959s, and went right for Eddy's mint example when it popped up. I gotta admit though . . . it's a lot more fun to hunt and gather parts to scrap together a complete kit that wouldn't exist without our intervention! When I am able to bring together a box, manual, model with correct parts and a vintage remote . . . it's just a different level of enthusiasm from buying up someone's shelf queen. I feel fortunate to have either, but get much more of a rush by compiling them items separately. 
IG_tamiyaddiction
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 18 hours ago #77076

I'm just like you. 
When I do a restoration, I want everything to be as original as it is out of the box.
The only exception I make to this rule is the ball bearings. All my models are fitted with them, without exception.
I have some Hop-Ups too, but most of them are not installed...I even hesitate to install Technigolds...
But the worst thing is that I bought a Boomerang simply because it had a Technigold, and when I restored it (post will follow shortly) I put back an original motor.... which, of course, I paid for on eBay.

Anyway i got this for you:

I got a few spare parts if you should need anything else 

Agreed - must have ball bearings!

The shocks look perfect - I see I have a PM, thanks.
IG_tamiyaddiction

Look what the Mail man brought me ! 7 months 18 hours ago #77079

Well, at least I know what I can build right away (about 2 Hunters, a Galaxy, and a Galaxy RS)! Rest will have to wait I rebuild those car to know what is left... There is certainly things I did not fully track. Specially because I did not make the full inventory of the parts I got when I bought this Hunter box with a lot of parts in it... There was enough in it to build one car and almost another...

The Samurai was also another car that I started with a set of parts... Had this frame chassis (not original, 3D printed nylon), and a wrecked car in very bad state for a start. That time I decided I would do it differently : buy cars only if they are complete. And only buy the parts you need... It took me quite a while. but at the end I have 1 rebuilt Samurai, another to rebuilt, and 2 cars to tear down and restore...

Since those experiences, unless I have no other way, I avoid incomplete cars (when possible). That said, I may change approach now, because to the very exception of metal parts, I know I can reproduce almost everything, and even a bodyshell should be feasible... As matter of fact, it is very much easier when you do it to ru(i)n the cars and you don't care of being 100% original (which anyway doesn't make any sense to me in most of the cases)... Life is simple, now :-)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.928 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.