Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73247

Prepared the STL files to build a mould for an Hirobo 44B Hilux bodyshell 

For memory, when the car arrived, the bodyshell was in very poor state. I'm not sure I'll be able to do something from it.

I modeled it simplified initially. The fact is that adding all details made the shell function in Fusion 360 broken, so I did not go further initially.

Then yesterday I decided to build a mould, taking into consideration that for a mould the shell function is not needed

The Wheelbase is  210 mm (width 172mm), and it would work for a M Chassis. Do you think it makes sense to get it produced?
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by silvertriple.

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73249

negative or positive form?
For shell modifiers i found out its better to put it in early and then model the details on the outside (for box modelling at least)

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73250

• Al
  • Hog Heaven
  • Hog Heaven
I’ve just bought Tamiya 58011, the Ferrari 312 t3. I’ll post pictures when it arrives. It looks complete apart from the original MSC, but I’ve got a few of them stashed away.
I’m sure it’s keeping some secrets we’ll find out in time. Hopefully this will make a nice project.
I have just realised that I now own all of the Tamiya cars I had back in the early 80’s.
Sand Rover, Ford Ranger, Porsche 935, Countach and now the Ferrari. I still own my Hotshot and one of my best friends owns my Wild Willy.
I also now own 20 of the first 50. No I’m not going to try and get any more. I have more than enough projects to keep me going for ages. 

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko

Last edit: by Al.

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73251

@Lemsko, I just looked at priced prints for the mould as is : it's huge and out of my reach at the moment. I could do it on my home printer, but it would be likely something about 2 parts, and a huge printing time, and amount of PLA. I then tried to make a countermold, with the idea that maybe it would be easier to deal with and get a material high temp resistant for the mould : about 5 days of printing and 1.6 kg of PLA to get there... Not sure it is even realistic at the end. Maybe we could discuss this on the Hirobo topic rather than polute the thread here :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73253

I dont know if PLA would be a good choice because of its low temp resistance. My idea for a positive form was to do the parts as shells with maybe 3-4mm wall thickness and nearly no infill (lightning infill in cura). I want to model 2 holes into each part and then fill it with expandable foam to make the form solid.
My Simca and BMW would be made out of 4 parts. Front, Rear, middlepart of the body and then the cabin with the windows on top. Thats at least my idea how it coud work for my models.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73254

Well : looking at the irealistic cost of a mould printing, I was thinking about printing a counter mould in PLA, and used it to pour a mould in plaster or any other material heat resistant (can't help thinking about making a lexan shell)... It still long print (in two parts, because my printer is not big enough) and a lot of PLA, but at least it is feasible, and infill may not be that important for this usage... I'm not used to print that big parts, would need to add an UPS before doing this anyway...

Last edit: by silvertriple.

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73255

Couldnt you do the "tradional" way, using your original body and make a silcon mould and then use plaster?
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73256

The body is cracked almost everywhere... It barely stays together...
I know someone who would probably be able to do something with it, but I did this awaiting the time I can give the body to him... I wanted a virtual bodyshell to put on the car in Fusion360 for the fun, and I did one, and the single fact of having it makes me wanting to do more from it :-D (Yeah, I know, i'm crazy :-D)

But at least my virtual 44B-Hilux looks nice :-D

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73257

fully understood that
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

What did you do today? 1 year 5 months ago #73269

Great find Al!! One of my favorite Ferrari styles and a great choice in RC. Can't wait to see pics.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.