Keyword

TOPIC:

Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16880

Hi all,

New to this site and only learning the ropes and RC lingo
i have a Original 58047 Hotshot that i got when i was a kid, its in good condition but needs a few bits and would like to restore it with original parts.

anyone advise on the best 7.2v Battery to use, the original is dead, and also only lasted about 10min after a week of charging.

is it possible to change the motor, if so what would work well, is there a knock on effect, ie gears or cogs need changing? to take the extra power

any advice would be great.

Regards
Crazy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16881

Hi all,

New to this site and only learning the ropes and RC lingo
i have a Original 58047 Hotshot that i got when i was a kid, its in good condition but needs a few bits and would like to restore it with original parts.

anyone advise on the best 7.2v Battery to use, the original is dead, and also only lasted about 10min after a week of charging.

is it possible to change the motor, if so what would work well, is there a knock on effect, ie gears or cogs need changing? to take the extra power

any advice would be great.

Regards
Crazy

Hi, I cannot comment on the Hotshot, but 'a week of charging' ??? - Sounds like you have cooked it :S
The correct procedure to revive an aged battery I believe is to cycle the pack several times to re-instate the packs ability to hold charge (If it's going to work at all).
This involves with a NICAD type charging, then discharging to 1.1v per cell, then give it another delta-peak charge etc... repeat this process about 5 times, with say a 15min or so delay in-between cycles. Certainly this process has given me some success.
For NI-MH, same process but discharge to 0.9v per cell.
You would need a smart charger though. Something like this maybe? ---> www.modelsport....ucts/38402

Somebody will of course now tell me this process is all wrong :blush:

As for getting a new pack, personally I think it depends on :-
  • What your budget is
  • Runtime required
  • Equipment you already have - i.e. charger - balance charger etc..
  • Motor power requirements
  • Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dreadly.

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16882

Thanks for that,
    regards charging, i was 12yrs old in 1985 which was the last time i used the hotshot, just remember it took ages to charge and only got a few minutes fun from it.

Looks like i will need to get that smart charger.

i have the equipment charger and basic battery that came with the original hotshot.
    so will need a new battery and charger.

I assume i should get a NI-MH Battery, what would you recommend to suit the smart charger you refer to.

was looking at this motor, I wont be using this for heavy use in any way would just like something to give it a bit more pep.mostly i want to restore it and maybe pass it onto the kids.

www.ebay.co.uk/...51a65c1ce0

Just dont want to damage anything internally by custom fitting.
    Regards

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16883

Thanks for that,
    regards charging, i was 12yrs old in 1985 which was the last time i used the hotshot, just remember it took ages to charge and only got a few minutes fun from it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are not likely in my humble experience to recover a battery from 1985

Looks like i will need to get that smart charger.

It's unlikely to be smart enough to recover a 1985 battery, but give it a go

i have the equipment charger and basic battery that came with the original hotshot.
    so will need a new battery and charger.

Battery charging and battery technology has come a long way since those days I'm afraid. The biggest achievement being 'delta peak charging' over traditional 'timed' quick chargers or low amp long term or 'overnight' chargers.
    Basically modern chargers know when the battery is charged and then turn off, old chargers just carry on charging and cook the battery.

I assume i should get a NI-MH Battery, what would you recommend to suit the smart charger you refer to.

was looking at this motor, I wont be using this for heavy use in any way would just like something to give it a bit more pep.mostly i want to restore it and maybe pass it onto the kids.

I started back into RC with the same intent... Don't do it :) - Buy them kids a cheaper modern re-issue car and keep you memory alive and kicking. Besides, when starting out I think kids prefer slower and more controllable motors. - My 4 year old's King Blackfoot has a 60t motor fitted and I only use a 6cell NIMH battery in it. Good for at least 5mph :lol:

rover.ebay.com/...51a65c1ce0

Just dont want to damage anything internally by custom fitting.

Others on here will be better placed to advise.

Regards

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16889

Welcome on board :) :y:

I'm thinking when you said you'd charged the battery for a week you meant on a "wall wart" slow charger? If so, I wouldn't think you'd damaged it...

I'm assuming a 1985 battery would a NiCad (Nickel Cadmimum)pack of 1300mAh capacity - if so, 10 minutes, considering the weight of the car & the 4WD drivetrain is actually pretty good... The best "cycling" does seem to be to charge it, use it, recharge it & so on :)

Battery & charger technology has moved on no end - NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries & "Delta Peak" chargers are the norm - I've been using Vapextech NiMH packs (I'd suggest a 3300mah pack or 3700mah pack are the best value).

Chargers for NiMH don't have to be that smart - there are lots of Ripmax Pro Peak 2500 units about ... I have 4 (!) of those, plus an Imax B6 charger that does pretty much everything in every possible way - if you can navigate the menus :S

Real power now comes with LiPO (Lithium Polymer) batteries and brushless motors ... but back in the real world where an average Tamiya car just gets blatted around the garden or a bit of spare ground, possibly with a few mates, the Tamiya "Sport Tuned" motor is an excellent choice.

Radio gear has also moved on - 2.4ghz steerwheel/pistol grip units seem to be the norm now, though stick units are still available for people like me who like the advantages (short antennas, no crystals, less interference) but cant get their head around not using their thumbs to drive :whistle:

Bearings, compared to 1985, are rediculously cheap now :y:

ESCs (electronic speed controls) are no longer fragile & expensive - if you're planning to drive the a car, then it's well worth getting one for the finer control, longer run times (no battery power is wasted as heat through old skool resistors), no risk of running out of control, and much less risk of fire ...

:)

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16900

Hi jonny & dreadly,

Thanks for the info, I have bought the smart charger motor for

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16903

You do realise where all this money spending leads don't you? - A full on restoration addiction... Get help now :)

Also, with one of those battery chargers you will need a car battery or a 20amp mains power supply... Sorry, forgot to mention that before. You can make the power supply from a computer PSU though.

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16904

Nope you didn't mention that one re the 20amp. :(

Might try the psu and have a chat with the Electritian about it.

I should have done my own research anyhow

Can u suggest a universal charger that wouldnt require the 20 amp connection?

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16905

Yes I am getting a little addicted. Where can I seek suitable counselling?

Re: Have a Old Hotshot 1985 in the attic to restore 11 years 4 months ago #16906

Yes I am getting a little addicted. Where can I seek suitable counselling?

Well, this is definitely the wrong place :laugh:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
    Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
    Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.