Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2712

I am open to suggestions, :) but keep in mind that we are not all English native speaking, so slang may not work well....

I guess ... or maybe people did get them ... they just weren't as funny as I thought :silly:

How about custom ranks? It may be a bit early in the forum's life, but sooner or later people are going to become known for particular character traits, areas of interest or skill sets; does Kunena allow for individual ranks/titles?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2715

That's a very interesting suggestion... gonna contemplate on the possibilties of that myself too. :cheer:

A step up in rank for donators/supporters would also ask for more complications of which I don't know if they're possible.
That would mean a different quantity of posts to achieve a certain rank.

Btw - I don't think you should be able to "buy" just up to any level.
Any donation (small or large) should give the same bump in my opinion.
I was thinking up to the level of senior or expert in the current system - if the member were new.

Any suggestions on this train of thought? :)

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2727

Hi
Does this mean there will be a monetary value to your rank?
Will you be a senior or expert of donations?
What about a set membership fee?(to help with costs)
If $100 makes you a expert what can a $1000 get you?
Lets hope Bill Gates is not following this topic as he may not even own a single Tamiya and become a expert or ______.
Marius

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2728

Sorry, I think you misread. ;)

Btw - I don't think you should be able to "buy" just up to any level.

Not up to me to speak for Lars but I'm suspecting he would want Tamiyabase to stay "open source" so there would be no entry fee. Donations are completely voluntary. :)

Maybe just a change in term from "boarder" to "supporter" is a less complicated idea.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2730

Yes maybe misunderstood.
What does this mean?

"Btw - I don't think you should be able to "buy" just up to any level.
I was thinking up to the level of senior or expert in the current system - if the member were new."

Marius

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2732

Sorry if I was unclear there...

I meant that donating more shouldn't result in a higher forum rank.
Any donation (maybe a certain minimum) should give the rank of supporter and the same increase on the level of posts.
That would mean fewer posts are needed to achieve a certain rank. Let's say 40-80...
If someone decides to register and donate from the start, he would then have the entry level of senior for example.

Still I think it would be quite honorable to have the rank of supporter in itself. ;)

A bit of a disclaimer : I'm just brainstorming as a member like you guys. It's all up to Lars to decide anything. :)

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2739

Depending on how the Kunena system works, it's probably more straightforward for contributors to either get an "award" (small icon under their username in posts), or create a "contributor" user group - so contributor's names appear in a different colour?

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2741

Both sound like good ideas. And less complicated than what I was thinking of.
Don't know the programming system the site relies on but I'm guessing it should be possible.
Coloured groups exists already and with enough posts, such an icon will appear.

Could maybe also be applied to the custom ranks you were talking about at the top of the page. :cheer:

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2895

Gentlemen,
Sorry for being away for the last week (Turkey was great :) )

I have kept an eye on this thread though, and here is what I am now looking into:
  1. An Award system is close to being released. As Jonny_Retro described, it will include a icon (or more icons depending on how many awards you get) in the Forums left column, under your user name. There will also be a listing of available awards, and who has received them. And finally, your personal Member page will include a tab showing your awards.
  2. I am still not sure what to do about the Forum's ranking system. I understand the point about changing from "boarder" to "Member". On the other hand, I do not like that some members will then be named for instance "Junior Member" only because they have not participated in the Forums. I would like all member to be equal, no matter the activity in the forums.

To clarify any misunderstanding:
TamiyaBase.com will NOT become a site where you have to pay for membership, at least not as long as I can run the site on my spare time with the help of volunteer Moderators (currently Edou)

There is a chance for anyone (with Paypal) to Donate to the running of this site, but as Edou says, that is completely up to each one of you.

The challenge remains: :ohmy:
Who can come up with better descriptions to the Forum Ranks?

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Forum ranks ... a bit dull? 12 years 7 months ago #2900

... An Award system is close to being released. As Jonny_Retro described, it will include a icon (or more icons depending on how many awards you get) in the Forums left column, under your user name. There will also be a listing of available awards, and who has received them. And finally, your personal Member page will include a tab showing your awards

The challenge remains: :ohmy:
Who can come up with better descriptions to the Forum Ranks?

Can I just point out I made a donation _before_ I was sure of getting anything in return ;)

Re forum ranks ... assuming you have to have them at all, using some of the less naff Tamiyaisms typically found on wings is IMO a lot more egalitarian, because even though I've tried to put them in some sort of heirarchy here, they are essentially meaningless:

"No Guts No Glory!"
"Being nuts is NEAT!"
"Anytime Baby!"
"Born to be Wild"
"Stomping Around"
"Devilsome!"
"Awesome!"
"A Real Powerhouse"
"Formidable!"
"Hog Heaven"

:)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.