Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58591

I hadn't touched this for a long time, but at the weekend I felt inclined to do a bit of work on it. I've cut out the tinted (solid, I think) part of the windows & put the decals on, deformation (even with a hairdryer) and bonding is very poor, I'm really glad I painted the bumpers rather than used the supplied decals for them.

I want the wheel to look like the period 10" items (with high profile tyres) rather than the modern looking 15"/16" (?) wheels & low profile tyres that came out of the NSU TT kit so will modify the wheels & rely on paint - first step in that was adding a 2.5mm square strip & 0.75mm flat strip to the wheels, so I can turn them to the desired shape once they've regained their hardness.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58592

I also started on the (M-05) chassis - first double page spread of the instructions deals with the chassis spine halves & the gearbox, 2nd spread is mostly the steering & front suspension.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58593

Nice idea for increase tires profil Jonny.

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58596

More build pics:

Attachments:

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58597

There were no holes in the body so it worth trying to preserve that, by using magnetic body post fittings - but even with the front posts cut down to their lowest extent (and the rears cut down to match) it looked stupid:

I removed the bottom part of the front mounts, then turned off a section of the upper, removing all evidence of the through hole - then tapped M3 all the way through from the top. Before pic:

I also removed all of the vertical part of the kit front posts & drilled through 3mm:

I could turn off the last few mm of the square part of the top mount to go down a little further, but I'm fairly happy with the body height now :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58598

I should add that the external magnets are there just to keep everything in line during fitting, and now while the epoxy sets on the internal plates :)

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58599

Too nice!!!!

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58612

I hated the toy "shock absorbers" from the kit so much I swapped them for proper oil shocks.

They are a bit longer overall & so have increased the wheelarch gaps, but that's probably not a bad thing in terms of suspension travel.

I still need to consider wing mirrors & radio gear.

:)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 4 years 1 month ago #58613

Maybe more scale lights with molotov pen for the chromed parts?

www.ian-motion.com/
A friend of mine did this brand ;)

My M chassis builds 3 years 7 months ago #61755

I saw a set of (used) tracks & skis intended for the re-re Holiday Buggy ... quite why anyone would want that combo is beyond me, but I got very enthuisiastic about building a smaller, old looking pickup, and probably paid over the odds for them :whistle:

This is my "mood board", I'm thinking an older looking pickup with an old fashioned radiator & bonnet, a squarish cab & very basic bed.

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.