Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 8 months ago #2643

IMO the buyer paid at least 25GBP more than it's worth.
A real bag of bolts, and to restore it would cost way to much.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 8 months ago #2644

I suspect the buyer might regret his purchase...
Not having JR's resto skills will make it a pretty tough job. ;)

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2646

Seems to be the trend that eager buyers are driving up the prices... :S

Great work on the resto so far. Hope it turns out red! ;)

Got to admit they do look good in red, especially a bright non-metallic like VW "Mars Red" ...

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2647

I suspect the buyer might regret his purchase...
Not having JR's resto skills will make it a pretty tough job. ;)

IMO the buyer paid at least 25GBP more than it's worth.
A real bag of bolts, and to restore it would cost way to much.

Maybe I was being naive or foolishly optimistic, but I really thought I could have got that for

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2649

Maybe I was being naive or foolishly optimistic, but I really thought I could have got that for

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2659

I must admit, I think the 2 pieces of Meccano used as the A pillars are worth more than the whole Cheetah. :unsure: :unsure:

Here's a Meccano set with a motor for less than the Cheetah, and you can rebuild it 1000's of times...:lol:

www.ebay.com/it...231430d36c

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2792

I've a bit more pottering today ... the tyres once washed aren't too bad, just a bit dry & slightly cracked - I poured a bit of glycerine over them & brushed it in & will kept agitating it for a couple of days ...

I uncased the poorer of the two batteries, nothing salvageabler inside or out ...

I've also been doing some paint tests on different primers ... if it helps the combination I've chosen is the one second from the left ;)

Attachments:

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2804

I've started dismantling the chassis for cleaning ... none of my metric tools fitting the 3mm fasteners, and the fact that new M3 fixings didn't fit the old threads threw me for a while - the bits referred to by Tamiya as "3mm" aren't metric at all - they're No.4 UNC (40 threads per inch) parts :blink:

Not only have most of the fasteners be retrospectively locked with Araldite (rather than using threadlock during assembly), some of them have been really chewed up ... I don't know how someone managed to ruin the gearbox through bolts - they only need doing up once, but the set screws holding the front torsion bars mount are worse, they've been fitted & then sawn off, leaving no hope of getting them of without destroying them, and the plastic mount too, at this point all I'm aiming for is saving the chassis :sick:

I know several highly specific and highly abusive terms for people that do things like that, I haven't referred to the rules, but I'm certain none of them will be acceptable, so let's just sat I wsigh to express my extreme displeasure at this turn of events :angry:

Moving on, I decided the rear deck would probably look much too plain, so I've started on some 70's style vents - sheet styrene with 1.5mm square styrene rod glued on ...

... vents cut & sanded to size ....

... and primed, along with some other bits ...

The body after four coats of grey primer ...

... and two of white (two more to go before sanding back):

:)

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2807

I know several highly specific and highly abusive terms for people that do things like that

I think we can all imagine a few of these terms...

Nice progress again though. :cheer:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Cheetah wreck resto 12 years 7 months ago #2809

Hey
I am a bit of a purist but your build on this is turning out to be a true inspiration.
More about the primer test you did please, and the result of the Tyre soaking especially.
Top job keep going!!!!
Marius

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds