Keyword

TOPIC:

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 1 week ago #78059

My friend yogi-bear told me yesterday he was trying to print the Mitsubishi Jeep bodyshell using his FDM printer. He did some vertical cut at the front and the rear, and this morning he sent me the results. The main part was oriented 45° from the bed, and the result are quite good. but to me the front and rear could be better... He printed it in PLA, but his real intention was to print in ABS, as easy to rework... On my side, I still needed to work this out. I decided to allocate some time this afternoon...

I first put down some dimensions and some 45° cuts at the front and rear. Those should give a good finish in the visible area, require less supports, and I had some idea how to increase bed surface for better print adhesion and part stability...

I then added some elements to allow the contact between the splitted parts...

Once down, I did load the stl in the slicer to see what it would give...

Looking at previous results with similar 45° prints, I have quite a good confidence that this will work. I will launch a test at some point within next week to confirm the results before uploading the files in the Mitsubishi Jeep Bodyshell publication
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 1 week ago #78061

• Al
  • Hog Heaven
  • Hog Heaven

so taking the image from the catalogue and some photos Silvertriple took from the Super Wheelie Box, I started to build the artwork for a box for the Mitsubishi Jeep. And today I managed to do a test print. There is still a bit of work to do on the images, probably a bit hard to see, but up close there is still a lot of pixelation. Once the exterior is complete, there work begins on the insides. The aim is to make all the packaging, card headers and vac form packaging to make a "NIB" kit.

This is next level. I love it.

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 1 week ago #78062

so taking the image from the catalogue and some photos Silvertriple took from the Super Wheelie Box, I started to build the artwork for a box for the Mitsubishi Jeep. And today I managed to do a test print. There is still a bit of work to do on the images, probably a bit hard to see, but up close there is still a lot of pixelation. Once the exterior is complete, there work begins on the insides. The aim is to make all the packaging, card headers and vac form packaging to make a "NIB" kit.

This is next level. I love it.

Indeed :-)

For the sake of giving more printing possibilities, I made a second version of the splitted bodyshell to adapt it to 180x180x180 beds
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 1 week ago #78074

I launched the print while at my parents' place yesterday morning and had an eye on it once in a while during the day. It looked promising.

The print was still in progress when I went to sleep, and it was expected to last until 1:30 in the morning... The first check I did was to open the bamvu app to check the print status : the printer was offline. And apparently my starling was off the grid around 1, about 30 minutes before the print was supposed to end. 

I went for the breakfast, and later on received a notification that there was power outage and that if parts are still on the plate, I can click resume. I did after a quick check on the video, assuming that in the worst case, I would have to reprint the main part... 28 minutes before the end of the print. 

The print resumed and it seems fine, but I'll be able to see that in details only later in the afternoon... 

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 1 week ago #78076

I have no intention to let anyone wait more about the results... The spare wheel is cracked out of the box (i'll include a picture later of the box) but this is not too much of a concern...

I quickly remove the supports...

And proceeded to the assembly...

The print has 2 issues :
1. the spare wheel due to the power outage...

2. the logo which is not readable. The print was in layer height of 0.2, which surely doesn't help. With a 0.2 nozzle and lower layer hight, there is ways to do better.

At the end the split is validated, and a print in PETG tells me it should be printable in other materials quite easily...
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 6 days ago #78085

I printed a dashbord and windshield as well for the FDM splitted body... The Windshield was super easy to get nicely. For the dashboard, FDM is a nightmare : whatever orientation you will use will make the things difficult with lot of support to remove. But the result is not bad...

Here is the body. I may have to print the roll cage to go on top of it, now :-)

But that's not all. With the printed Hunter parts, I also ordered a resin print for the Mitsubishi Jeep body : I had to see by myself if possible, as some people asked me about it. For the science, I got one. And... It's really nice...

The Mitsubishi logo is clear and readable (but not easy to see on the picture - we will have to wait for the paint)

Not much to say, beside the fact that for the paint, almost no sanding will be required, primer could be applied directly after degreasing...

The dashboard also looks nice and very detailed (again, paint will be required to really show on pictures)

The resin used was Light Green 8228 resin, as it is tough and with good dimensional stability. There might be a bit of warping on the rear side with one side lower than the second one but nothing really major, and I'm very happy with the result. This confirm feasibility for the resin print, at a lower cost than the MJF or SLS options...

The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 4 days ago #78092

I added a few other prints, almost ever accessory is there to complete the bodyshelll. The driver figure is still missing, though...

This body will be assembled and will be sitting on my stand next to the two other bodies during the vintage of this season...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 4 days ago #78094

Really nice marc congrats.

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 1 month 2 days ago #78106

I just updated the publication for the Super Wheelie body with the splitted body and pictures of the FDM and resin prints. Hope to see some builds different than mine at some point...

Again another Marui project : Super Wheelie and Big Bear! 4 weeks 6 hours ago #78132

I have a few Super Wheelies to rebuild, and some of them have broken roll cage. I ordered 3 complete set of accesories to complete the superwheelie bodies.

The target is to rebuild :
- One Black CJ-7 for my daughter
- One White Land Cruiser
- One Blue Land Cruiser
- One White CJ-7

And once this will be done, I will have to review the set of parts I have (to be clear, I lost the count of the incomplete cars I accumulated during this project).
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.