Keyword

TOPIC:

NICHIMO * The Midships * NIB build - Mirrorman's first Nichimo build 8 months 12 hours ago #76285

I just realised - I still have to do the letter writing .. 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

NICHIMO * The Midships * NIB build - Mirrorman's first Nichimo build 8 months 12 hours ago #76287

Yep, they sure look like maintenance stands - very cool!

Really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing!
IG_tamiyaddiction
The following user(s) Liked this: mirrorman

NICHIMO * The Midships * NIB build - Mirrorman's first Nichimo build 8 months 5 hours ago #76290

The hotshot has a piece like that for maintenance stand

NICHIMO * The Midships * NIB build - Mirrorman's first Nichimo build 7 months 3 weeks ago #76391

(for the small story, they call this differential LSD (for limited slip differential), and maybe the name of this thing stands for the magic mushrooms they were using during their brainstorms... This thing is feature over features, and it pays in the amount of screws you need to unscrew to tear the car down completrly to change the pinion or set the slip feature of the diff...

In short, a nightmare of engineering, with a nice set of potential issues (which may be what it has very common with some Tamiya 4WD cars of the same period) :-) 

That's essentially a clutch-style LSD, which is used on full-size race cars.  Very effective, very 'tuneable', but also very high on maintenance as the clutch packs wear out.

NICHIMO * The Midships * NIB build - Mirrorman's first Nichimo build 7 months 3 weeks ago #76399

Well, tuneable is not making any sense when you have to tear down the car all appart to tune it... Over engineering at its best... 
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)

NICHIMO * The Midships * NIB build - Mirrorman's first Nichimo build 7 months 3 weeks ago #76400

"Tuneable" in the sense that you can swap clutches/springs to control the amount of slip and therefor how quickly the diff locks.

But yes, it's not really a part that you would change in between runs (like say dampers).  But if you were running on a loose surface at one meet, and next month running on tarmac, you might consider changing the clutches/springs.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.