Keyword

TOPIC:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33638

Woo, hoses :whistle:

(primed, sprayed matt black, ends brush painted "aluminum", washes in dark grey, black & "rust", dry brushed flat black).

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33651

More progress, sticky stuff to start - internal window "rubbers" are self adhesive vinyl, as are the red & white warning stripes & mirror "glass". Tank markings are on clear waterslide transfer paper, grille badges are clear inkjet vinyl on metal tape.

I also had my first go with my Xmas airbrush kit - first with flat clear on the transfers & inkjet vinyl, then same on the window "glass" - front windscreen I masked first for the wiper cleared area, side & rear windows freehand round the edges.

First attempt at colour too - paint mix was 2.5ml Orange, 2.5ml Flat Base, 5ml Flat White & 10ml Acrylic Thinners on both parts, but the tank was 15psi, close up & a lot of brush movement (so much the jar fell off at one point :whistle:), truck was 45psi, more distance & less movement & worked a lot better.

Don't worry, I expected it to look bad at this point - it'll need at least one more coat of this shade, which is meant to look very faded & therefore has very little actual orange in it ...

Cleanup wasn't too time consuming, though I can see now why so many how to videos feature a traditional fish bowl ...
Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33673

Finish is not 100% even after 3 coats (of 2pts white to 1 orange), but it'll do. Next step is to spray everything that isn't horizontal with a 1-1 mix ...

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33676

Nice Jonny :y: How are you liking your new painting setup? (airbrush & booth) :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33677

Too big to realistically go in the booth, I've been spraying outdoors (but undercover) :)

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33683

More progress, 2 coats of 1 part each Orange/Flat Base/Flat white, 2 more of 1pt:1:0, and 1 of 2:1:0.

This is the underside of the tank:

... & this is the top:

Hopefully the fade gives a bit of a bleached look ...

Overall the colour is much too bright IMO - I should have started with more white in the mix & finished at 50% white in hindsight, but it's too late now - hopefully the dirtying up process will tone it down a bit.

Still a long way to go on the tank (detail colours, dirtying up, decals, sealing etc etc ...), even further of the cab (ditto + wood effect on the planking, arches, bumpers etc). I expect more empty pots along the way.

:)

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33705

Tank has details painted, a light wash with hull red in strategic places, a little bit of "rust" & chrome silver for fake wear, the assorted stickers & transfers stuck on, a blow over with a mix of flat clear & clear, and the hoses superlglued & tied on.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, Dam, AndyAus

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33721

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, it could equally have gone in the "interesting" thread as it's on eBay, the "How much" thread because it's overpriced (I'm pretty sure you could get everything new for the same price), or the "look at the state of that" thread because it's a lashup.

(for future reference: well used Bruder 1:16 Scania Garbage truck badly fitted to a Tamiya TT01 chassis, 200+ GBP BIN)

However it's an interesting lashup - I'd previously discounted the cheap Bruder "conversion" parts on eBay as the subjects are too modern for my liking, I like building my own stuff, and not knowing how well they'd fit - looking at this, using a slightly narrower 1:10 chassis to start with & using offset wheels or spacer hubs, you could make something like this look pretty scale.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33724

:huh: a drifting trash truck

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 months ago #33726

Working on the truck body, 1st coat of a lot of black bits + "wooden" planking - 2 coats of Buff, dry brushing Hull Red & Yellow Green, then 3 coats of mixed Clear Orange & Smoke ... a final seal will be needed to take the shine off :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Dam, terragni, AndyAus

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds