Keyword

TOPIC:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 month ago #33861

Weathering, decals etc, reassembly:

That ought to be it, but just like the Battlestar Galactica reboot wasn't over even after its 23 endings, there's still a bit more: replacing the Y-lead I had to use as a temporary fix on the amber beacon is trivial ...

... but I'm thinking I ought to build one of these too, for the sake of completeness:

:D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 month ago #33905

Final rattle for the Umimog ... I'm not a big fan of the 406 model, and building this one has done nothing to change that TBH.

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 month ago #33912

Final rattle for the Umimog ... I'm not a big fan of the 406 model, and building this one has done nothing to change that TBH.

Sorry, but that is CUTE! :laugh: :laugh:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34281

I hadn't seen one of these before ...

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34303

The Skip Truck was the next thing in my queue that I felt like doing a bit on ... I already had the "plans" I'd drawn before but needed to scale them so I could start with a card mockup.

Using a CC01 chassis meant I needed the upper part of the wheelarches/lower part of the cab to be 194mm for clearance over the tyres, and the measurement on same part of the Matchbox version was 44mm. Knowing the "Super Kings" range is nominally 1:64 means my card mockup is therefore 1:14.5 (44mm * 64 / 194mm), which isn't an unreasonable number.

However, the original Matchbox toys have been described as "1:box", meaning they weren't always the same scale & fitting them all in the same size boxes was the priority: that certainly fits with what I remember.

Given that, I wasn't overly surprised when the width my maths suggested (2.816m) didn't tally with the 2.47m of the 1:1 truck (www.military-to...tm_4-4.htm). Using that figure means the actual scale of the Matchbox version is 1:56 (& a fraction), and the scale of the card mockup is 1:12.7.

I can live with either of those figures & TBH they don't really make a lot of difference to anything I'll need to do to build this one - other than looking out for a 1:12 - 1:14 scale driver rather than using a 1:10 one. Tamiya's new 1:14 driver would have been ideal, lets' hope it becomes available again.

My skip was nominally 1:10 (more like 1:"A4+ styrene sheet") & ideally would be narrower and longer, but as the whole point of this was to keep it, I'll work around it :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 week ago #34343

Proportions would be better with an LWB version of the CC-01 chassis... I've also been doing some redrawing (mostly in Paint Shop Pro, but some in pen/pencil) & have the templates to make the first & second layers for the first level of the cab. Next step is to cut out some formers to profile the roof before that goes in, then there's the second layer of detail/sheet, then the 2nd & 3rd levels of the cab ...

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 week ago #34353

Formers give the roof the correct profile ...

.. and the basic box shape is done. Concave bit under the front windscreen was again a bit of a pig - it's made up of 4 bits of styrene (+ 2 for reinforcement on the inside) & Milliput epoxy putty, wetted & smoothed out by hand (well, by finger).

2nd layer of styrene gives a bit more detail ... I've cut out the windscreen "rubber" but not fitted it yet ...

... inside of roof given a blanking layer...

Lots of filler ... 99+% of that will get sanded off, and I also need to put a curved profile on all the outer edges.

:)

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 week ago #34370

Hmm, lots of time hasn't really translated into a lot of progress ... sanding, a few details, and side steps:

I also found these pics of the interior & dash - dig that 1970s styling :D

That's a "sleeper" cab rather than the shorter day cab I'm doing, and a ludicrously flattering lens has been used - no way is it that roomy in there, but still, it's confirmed to me that I do need to hang on for a 1/14 driver.

I see there's one on eBay USA ATM, but I'm going to have to wait for an EU supplier, I can't justify spending 9 GBP on the item + 9 GBP post + 4 GBP VaT + 8 GBP handling fee :sick:

Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 6 days ago #34379

Anyone still reading this?

Front bumper/steps/mudguards started ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Dam

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 6 days ago #34380

Hmm, lots of time hasn't really translated into a lot of progress

The hours are definitely visible from here! Great details!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.