Keyword

TOPIC:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34567

He looks very much like a lorry driver, no longer a laid-back American military reserve :laugh:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by larbut.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34569

Rear lights done ... there was no way I was going to be able to get LEDs to the back of them if I made them a permanent fixture, so I cheated a bit & put M2 screws through the unused portions:

Work on the drivers seat started with a back-of-a-beermat sketch, then something a bit more dimensioned ...

I scanned that in, redrew it & printed out a few copies - I've finally found a use for that box of non-stick (or at least low tack) A4 sheet labels...

Basic structure of seat done:

Seat done, I make it 60 parts :whistle:

It's a bit flat on the back & squab, but that's deliberate to match the shape of the driver. The passenger seat I'll try & make a little curvier.

:)

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34570

Great looking seat :y:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34579

Built the 2nd seat, pics should fill in some of the gaps from my method ...

"Shrinking" bottom of seat by cutting portions out of the middle:

Complete set of cushion parts ...

... made from 3mm sheet this time, note sculpting:

Impromptu clamping jig arrangement for seat back angle (tape removed for clarity):

Clamps on headrest & arms are not the greatest quality, but they're superior to clothespegs in that they exert a lot more pressure, and the tips are free floating so stay parallel regardless of the width of the thing they're clamping. Seat base angled part is so irregular it needed a lot of tape (since removed) to "clamp" it while the parts set. Lots of trimming required, the part had to be very over size to cover all the angle/direction changes.

Top is a lot more regular so gets a much smaller bit of sheet; arms/headrest dremmelled & sanded to shape:

Quick clamps (even mini ones) like this can exert an awful lot of pressure, or you can be quite delicate with them...

... & that's it done. The driver fits surprisingly well in the contours, but I couldn't have known that until I'd built it, so it still makes sense to have made a "flat" one initially - although I was briefly tempted to make another "curvy" one, even though you can't see the difference with the driver in it :whistle:

Part count is now up to 607, plus another 187 if you count the skip :blink:

The following user(s) Liked this: Dam, Oldcoldbellybadness

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34581

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Oldcoldbellybadness

Last edit: by AndyAus.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34582

Those seats are work of art!
The level of detail is unbelievable... :ohmy: :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: Oldcoldbellybadness

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34585

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Truly amazing Jonny, you make it look so easy :y:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34587

Thanks for the positive feedback, chaps :)

Something none of my previous scratch builds haven't had is much detail on the insides of the doors, so I thought I'd remedy that this time...

Rough sketch of door card as modelled on 1:1, plus 2x size drawing (so when it's scanned, reduced & printed on sticker paper it doesn't look 1/2 so rough :whistle:

Back of card is already 2 layers, infills are a bit thicker & have door latch & window winder points dremmeled down, "correct" number of segments in upper area has been reduced from 18 to 12 to make things easier ...

All stuck in, along with latch & winder. Holes in winder aren't "correct" but they looked really flat beforehand.

I know the cab floor is dull but it took some time to nibble it down to a shape where it can actually be fitted with the seats attached :whistle:

Starting on seatbelts (I did the stalks on the seats, so "had" to do the rest ...

Rough looking reel boxes ....

... prettied up with sanding, skinning the fronts, and making the rest of the fittings:

... and held in with blu tac. I don't fancy my chances of painting these glued in, so I'll paint them separately & superglue in after.

:)

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 2 weeks ago #34588

Ok, I visited the Tamiya museum and Hobby Square in Shizouka last Thursday and they had some very nice things (semi custom static kits) but this beats most all they had on display. :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Last edit: by waterbok.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 1 week ago #34615

Working on the dashboard & associated bits has mostly been an exercise in juggling & re-measuring over & over, but it's beginning to bear fruit.

Starting on basic dash profile box, steering column, and "hump" (where the engine cover intrudes a long way into the cab):

Starting on instrument panel & centre console sections:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.