Keyword

TOPIC:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 7 months ago #31242

PS: did you know Ole Evinrude invented the first practical outboard engine, and was Norwegian? :whistle:

Not to be confused with the norwegian musician and producer Ole Evenrude ;-)

(Sorry for the off topic.....) :evil:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 7 months ago #31312

HI!... Looks great J/R! Now all it needs is a Wild Willy fisherman in it. lol! :P

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 7 months ago #31313

Wild Willy fishing! :ohmy: That would be like the Stig in a row boat.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31757

I guess my next "big" project will be some sort of implement for the tractor to tow around (I'm leaning towards a slurry tank ATM), but in the mean time I thought I'd try and do a couple of things off my scale wish list - first off being a skip (or dumpster).

Before I start posting pictures I would like to say that this is _supposed_ to be bit rough - 1:1 skips are made & painted quickly (and a bit crudely, TBH) & don't look that great close up even when new...

1st step was to find a 1:1 example to work from:

Using that & dimensions for a "12 yard" skip but abbreviating the length a bit to get the sides out of A4 sized sheets (of course now I realise I could have angled it slightly instead of cutting square with the edges & gained about 20mm :whistle:) gave me this - which is not a bad representation, but I just didn't like it that much ...

... So I repeated for a slightly different design:

Not much to say about the construction, sides are 1mm styrene, ends & base are 2mm for a bit more area on the joints, braces are also 2mm, reinforcing strips on the inside are 0.5mm, detail pieces are various Evergreen brand forms & more 2mm sheet + 0.75mm...

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31758

Given the surface area involved I thought I'd try & build in some of the weathering in the spraying process - I'm making this up as I go, BTW...

1st step was to give the inside & underside a light dusting of something metal looking - specifically the last dregs from a dying can of "chrome" paint:

Next was to give the "metal" some "surface rust" with a light dusting of red oxide primer:

Underside ditto, the "priming" of the outside looks rubbish I know, but I was concentrating on making sure the difficult to reach areas were covered so they wouldn't show white later, not trying to get an even base for the colour...

... which is "AA Van Yellow": two coats without any masking, but trying hard to minimise the spray drift:

A couple of decals & transfers + bit of spot weathering & it'll be finished :)
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31771

All done: lemon yellow vinyl strips & smaller orange ones; more paint (dry brushing with Tamiya chrome Silver, Hull Red & Humbrol "rust", washes with hull red, rust & nato black), transfers using a local skip operators details; and a lot of force drying with the hairdryer...

I was initially going to use this as a mini waste bin in the hobby room/man cave, but now I'm thinking I ought to make a scale load of junk instead...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31789

On to the filling, this is (I think) my styrene offcuts from this year so far ...

I'm pretty sure that's right as I seem to remember having a bit of a clearout before starting on the Blackfoot RV ... and TBH it's not all the offcuts, I picked out the larger bits that still had right angles before taking the pic & put them to one side as they stand a reasonable chance of getting used.

This lot not so much TBH - once stuff gets too small or no longer has square sides, it's so much easier to start with a new sheet. Recently I've been thinking about trying to grind this type of scrap up & reforming it into bars, but I digress: there's enough to fill the skip here, but it'd be a lot of gluing, painting & unnecessary extra weight...

... I made a platform to fit in the skip to reduce the volume to fill. Note the tubs in the background - by this point I'd also sorted the scrap out in to (from left to right):

- small, medium and or "interesting" stuff to use as fill,

- less interesting/small overflow from the first tub

- long, strip type offcuts that might stand a chance of getting used in future if I can keep them separate out & easier to sort through; and

- medium size, awkward bits with no parallel sides: the real bin fodder TBH

First 30 bits glued in...

... 60 ...

... 90 ...

... 120 ... at this point it wasn't getting any more interesting ...

... so I just glued in another 30 bits to bolster what was already there. The completed "fill" bit is now in the shed, de-fuming after getting a very liberal coat of red primer (about 3/4 of a 400ml can to covr all the white bits :blink: )

:)

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31797

:huh: you are crazy Jonny :laugh:
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31803

HI!... You must of been high as a kite after all that C/A gluing. lol

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 9 years 5 months ago #31807

HI!... You must of been high as a kite after all that C/A gluing. lol

It's Dichloromethane, and no.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.