Paint Faults: Addendum

Some time back I wrote articles on paint faults and how to deal with them (Part 10: Paint Faults (1 of 2) and Part 11: Paint Faults (2 of 2) ), but they were a bit light on actual photos of issues I'd had.

Well, it's taken a while, but I now have some evidence of what happens when overspray and foreign bodies afflict your paintwork.

Overspray

This is a term that (unhelpfully) also gets used to describe masking failures, and when paint is sprayed at too high a pressure, resulting in it partially drying before it hits the target ... in this context however I mean partially dried paint from the area you're spraying, drifting on to a different area, then when you spray that area - it comes up looking and feeling like sandpaper.

This was my own fault - trying to spray the dregs from the suction jar on the inside of the cab, intermittently sucking up just air - and not noticing the resulting paint dust settling on the outside - because it was the same colour as the paint.
I sprayed over that on the next coat - and the result looks pretty nasty.

jr paint faults add 01

Image 01 is a crop of an extreme closeup taken at an angle/with lighting to make it look as bad as possible, so it's not quite as nasty in normal viewing, but still something that needed correction - in this case a light rub down with 1200 grit paper, wet - you can tell when enough has come off by the change in sound - then carrying on painting.

jr paint faults add 02

Several coats later, the finish it the texture & colour I'd intended.

Foreign Bodies

Apparently, 2015 is a good year for Pollen Beetles 'round here, according to local news reports they're causing a nuisance due to their large numbers and attraction to bright colours. This (image 03) is what happened when a particularly big one (5-6mm long) was "attracted" at high speed to the wet clearcoat on a Scorcher shell.

jr paint faults add 03

Normally I'd advocate leaving bug hits like this for long enough for the critter concerned to not only die, but completely dry out too - but I noticed after two days this one was still wiggling. I can't tell you if he/she had a long and fulfilling life afterwards, but it seemed to crawl off ok after separation...

Initial light wet sanding (2000 grit wet & dry) and polishing (Novus #3 and #2) out of the marks/ridges left by the bug unfortunately showed it had gone through to the white underneath (image 04), so a bit of touching in was needed.

jr paint faults add 04

Due to using paint out of a different jar and brushing rather than airbrushing the paint came out a bit darker (image 05) - but (after sufficient curing time) further sanding and polishing off the excess has left a repair you have to look very hard to spot (image 06).

jr paint faults add 05

 

jr paint faults add 06

________________________
Written by TB member Jonny Retro

Comments  
#1 Edou 2016-03-14 22:05
Nice write-up. And I think we're all glad the bug survived.

Article Categories