Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45565

:y: amazing . The layet blue sticks well.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45566

Anyone tried the Konghead yet?

I was going to get one - I got quite enthusiastic about it & scratchbuilding a TPZ-1 Fuchs body for it ... but then Tamiya moved the UK release date back an extra 6 weeks without any explanation, and rather than wait I started some other projects. Very difficult to maintain interest in something the manufacturer doesn't seem to want to sell you :whistle:

This will probably sound overly dramatic, but it made me re-evaluate* whether I wanted to continue to bother with Tamiya as a brand at all. Answer was yes, but only because 1: I like their acrylic brush paint; and 2: ongoing parts supply.

* Yes, "re-evaluate". Seems to be a regular thing :whistle: I think the last time was when a certain fan reference site got threatened with legal action if the manuals weren't removed ...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45568

It's cool, Jonny. To create with passion and precision you *need* to be dramatic. Nothing to worry about.

Right, so you were making that armored vehicle body? Awesome. Well, don't think for a minute that I'm doing my Konghead as Tamiya inteded! You shall see .. heheh! Just need some PS-paints again. Patience.

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45571

Jonny. If I'd show you this picture, what would your response be?

Attachments:

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45572

TODAY.... :)

Sensationally good buddy B)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45573

Yes, good bodies, good buddy.

.. nice color selection, in deed.

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45578

Well, being half-unemployed I am having a little more time, and in a effort to forget about issues related to my current situation, I have been spending more time out in the bench working on my RC projects lately. I'm afraid this can be a long post, so I'll divide it in "what I did last night" and "what I did today". Please bear with me, as there will be many photos below ;)

Here's what I spent Friday evening on:

1) I decided to copy the rear brace of the Graupner buggy. The Hornet runs absolutely great with this little mod! I copied the metal piece with some aluminum bit, and I used a bar that was given to me, and a couple of nuts to keep it in place.

In place:

2) The tip of one of the shock towers on the my buggy was shot. So I had to replicate some old part that I remember CRP used to sell. I used a thick piece of aluminum. Please note I yet have to sand it and spray some black enamel over it. I am very happy with the results. Also, it is not the 1st time I am doing this.

I had to make a cardboard pattern:

While working on the aluminum I had a little accident :)

Anyway, the results here:

3) The IH tractor project. I fixed the rear "tray" with screws, and got the main decals in place. Oh, I'm excited! :lol:

One more step, yes, but now I have to work on that grill and the seat. Electronics and servos will be installed only after I am done with the model.

4) A rear bar-body posts support for my 1989 Kyosho Hi-Rider Corvette. I cut some plastic from a plastic clothes peg hanger that I bent so I could replicate the missing one. It was the last part I needed to complete the vehicle. I might get a replacement body, but that would have to be --as the old song goes- "someday".

5) Last but not least, my 1988 Avante needed rear shocks. I had a pair of Frog ones mounted, but they were too obvious to my eye. So I got these old Mugen shocks that work & fit the car alright. I don't really like the blue anodize part in them (blue anod. looks tacky to my taste), but I had no other option.

One day I hope to work on the body. There must be some better body color to match this sissy car.

What I did today comes next. Sorry guys for the length of the post! :whistle:

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45579

What I did today... let me see.

I went to the fleamarket this morning, and I got some interesting toy to resell and a couple of treats to myself :laugh:

I come across three literally HUGE, and heavily illustrated German Graupner and Robbe RC catalogs (1989, 1990, and 1991). These things are so heavy they're uncomfortable to carry along, between 600-1000 pages each in full color! Days like these definitely heavier than my groceries :dry: Anyway, page after page I am finding some neat stuff in them. It is a bit mindboggling Robbe & Graupner sold in Germany RC kits by Kyosho, Mugen, Royal and other companies under their brands. Oh, and the Futaba radios, wow! I am having so much fun with these. Here's a couple of pictures:

I can't help to wonder what brand is this juicy Kenworth tractor truck!

Here's the Fire-Fox buggy. It seems to be a Tamiya Bigwig with some hard plastic bodyshell. Oh, the gearcases look suspiciously similar to our beloved 10th anniversary MEGA buggy! Also, what is that Wild Willy??? I did not know there was a Robbe/Graupner knocked it off, too.

And as I was leaving I got to find this dirty gem on some Argentinian immigrant blanket. Been looking for a good Lesney 928 for quite some time, and I finally found it. Not too cheap unfortunately (about $1.75) but I am already in the process of restoring it to former glory. I'm a happy camper! :silly:

Here's the sad looking Porsche already siting in my strip box after a shower of graffiti remover ;) I'll fix the metal and then a lil enamel will bring it back to life to grace my bedroom's windowsill.

Tomorrow I'm off to the other fleamarket. Let's hope for a couple more reasons to smile there.

You all have a happy Sunday! :)

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45580

I hope to get a set of beautiful 1.55 stamped steels in the future but I put small wheels under the hilux and lowered the body
way better! the olive green looks great on this car is'nt it?

Maybe I'll add clear windows today and then with the window rubbers
tamiyabase.com/...aling.html

now i need new body posts on the rear end :silly:
Attachments:

Last edit: by poebe.

What did you do today? 6 years 8 months ago #45583

Mongoose. These trucks are 1/14th wedico older than tamiya ones. They have lot of details. They are a little bigger and had sound before tamiya. The chassis has less details than tamiya too.
The following user(s) Liked this: mongoose1983

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.