Keyword

TOPIC:

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72153

Quickly installed the new foot pedal pad set on the GT. 

Is that a high-beam button on the floor?
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72154

Someone at Tamiya was either having a bad day, or just outright decided to play a cruel joke on people. . . . . . .

Fitting the Hornet's rear tyres on the rims is ridiculous.  First one seriously took me 15mins.  Finally figured out it takes lots of swearing, combined with lots of stretching and essentially "warming" the tyre.  More explicit swearing at the second one, and it went on much quicker.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72155

Spot on Ducksnuts. 

Operates with a badword of a click too. 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Ducksnuts

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72156

Nice.
Had a foot button on my old Hillman Hunter.  The original switch on the column stick died, and is was simpler for auto-electrician to wire in a foot button.  To be honest, I actually found it more convenient to use.

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72158

Well, if you find Hornet tires are difficult to put on the Rim, it is nothing compared to the Marui Hunter/Galaxy ones. That being said, my son built his Super Storm Dragon, just after I built the Hornet, and once you have found the trick it is not that difficult (same goes for the Marui Hunter/Galaxy tires - once you know how to proceed it takes 3 minutes, and you don't have to warm anything). I won't disclose the secret as it is an experience everyone has to endure as part of the rc journey :)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by silvertriple.

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72159

I've got very good at the "Jeremy Clarkson Method"....  Swearing and more power, and if that fails hit it with a hammer!!!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72160

That's the thing : everyone tries to insert the internal ring while it is more about wrapping the internal ring with the tire... The way you handle it completely changes the paradigm :)
(and when I say it is easier with the Hornet rings, it is because there is steps you can use to ease this : there is nothing like this on the Hunter/Galaxy tires)
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)

Last edit: by silvertriple.

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72161

Someone at Tamiya was either having a bad day, or just outright decided to play a cruel joke on people. . . . . . .

Fitting the Hornet's rear tyres on the rims is ridiculous.  First one seriously took me 15mins.  Finally figured out it takes lots of swearing, combined with lots of stretching and essentially "warming" the tyre.  More explicit swearing at the second one, and it went on much quicker.

I've never had a problem with that sort of tyre & TBH don't see how anyone else could - but perhaps it's a matter of technique?

Start with wheel at 90 degree angle to tyre (as your pic, but with tyre bead in normal position)

Push wheel into tyre (tyre opening gets stretched by wheel)

Manipulate wheel back to correct flat orientation, make sure tyre beads are seated correctly.

Time elapsed, less than 30 seconds per wheel?

What am I missing? 

Getting all three parts of the wheel to seat in alignment & close enough together that the screws bite, sometimes that's a different matter - It's often easier to  start with a couple of longer screws & replace them after.

:)

ETA - I've never read the bit of the manual on tyre fitting ... 
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72162

Yeh the method they describe in the manual is useless.
Can't even rightly remember how i did the second tyre, but it only took a few minutes.  Mostly some stretching, and then kind of sliding it over the rim......  But definitely not how the Tamiya Manual Writers described it 

What did you do today? 1 year 11 months ago #72163

Yeh the method they describe in the manual is useless.
Can't even rightly remember how i did the second tyre, but it only took a few minutes.  Mostly some stretching, and then kind of sliding it over the rim......  But definitely not how the Tamiya Manual Writers described it 

Just looked at a re-re Hornet manual & compared it to an old one ... I think they've recognised that some people might have trouble with it, but have just added a few somewhat unclear words to the caption, reusing the same drawing from 1984. One could interpret the caption as Tamiya intending you to rely on the low, rounded ribs on the rim gripping the bead & allowing you to torque the rim in - which I'm sure wouldn't work.

Otherwise, put the rim in at 90 degrees, twist back to flat when it's in would appear to be "correct" ?

:) 

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.