Keyword

TOPIC:

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 8 months 2 weeks ago #76113

The database lists the new 58712 Porsche 911 GT3 model as "painted body", but it actually comes clear.

Hi Blakbird,
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks.
The 58712 is listed as pre-painted by Tamiya Japan (www.tamiya.com/...index.html), but I notice Tamiya USA lists it as clear and I see "unboxing" video's that shows clear body in Europe.
Tamiya Japan might have got it wrong or this kit might be one of those with spec variants between markets.
I'll leave it as pre-painted, but add a note that depending on marked, the shell may be unpainted.

Thanks for the info though, it's interesting to see how Tamiya is not always 100% organized. 

-Lars

Huh, I actually removed this from my Tower Wishlist recently, because I was afraid it was pre-painted, and now I'm not sure again. I was thinking it would be nice to do a 959 Rothman's tribute project, but that only works if it comes clear. 

I've had a new look at this today, after seeing that there will be a 47496 kit released as a pre-painted (blue) TT-02 Porsche 996.
This leads me to conclude the Tamiya Japan entry of 58712 is wrong and should be a non-painted one.
I'll update again :-)
-Lars

That makes sense to me.  I have one of these NiB on the shelf and it has a clear body.  The Tamiya Japan website probably just used the graphic from the 47496 kit which shows the painted body icon.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, GToddC5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 8 months 1 week ago #76192

Warning:  For extreme Tamiya history nerds only!!

So I've been researching the history of the TRF touring chassis line.  The first was the 93013 TRF 414X which wasn't exactly a product since it was available in USA only to racing drivers.  The 49132 TRF 414 followed similarly and was only available in Japan.  The first widely available TRF chassis was the 49175 TRF 414M.  There were two special editions: the 49220 Championship Memorial Edition and the 49255 World Championship Replica.  The database lists both of these as using the TRF 414M chassis.  Then there is the 49219 TRF 414M II.  A quick look at the model number and then the dates shows that this was actually released before the two championship editions.  So are those two cars the M chassis or the M II chassis?  In fact, is the M II even a different chassis to begin with?  I started my research with the last question.  I compared the TRF 414 M and the M II step by step and bolt by bolt.  I've never seen a smaller difference between two chassis.  They are the same chassis.  The only differences are: M II uses very slightly different 38mm turnbuckles (though they both use part number 9805760 ), and M II uses different ball diff drive cups ( 53480 versus 9805735 ).  That's it.  So arguably they are actually the same chassis.  On the other hand, the TRF 414 M II does have it's own assembly manual, so it is also fair to call it a different chassis.  So what about the championship editions?  I don't have the manual for 49220 so I can't check that one, but 49255 uses the updated drive cups from the M II.  Since that's the only difference between the M and the M II, you could certainly argue that the 49255 World Championship Replica is actually a TRF 414M II.  The final problem is that the 49255 manual specifically lists is as using the 414M chassis which can only be true if the M II is not really even a separate chassis.

Based on Internet photos, there is some evidence that 49219 and 49220 are actually the same kit but for different markets and the 49220 comes with a Protoform body.

OK, that should be complicated enough.

In my opinion, 49175, 49219, 49220,  and 49255 should all be listed under the TRF 414M heading.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 8 months 1 week ago #76223

I received and was leafing through a 1984 Radio Control Guide Book, and came across something interesting in regards to the 50005 and 50023 motors. It seems the Guide Book has them shown as the black end bell variants, so it might be interesting to add them to the motor pics? I guess when they revised them along the way, they held the same P/N. And now I know for sure that I have them :)

There, I finally got around to adding this image to the database.
Thank you for the infomation GToddC5!
-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
The following user(s) Liked this: GToddC5

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 8 months 1 week ago #76224

Warning:  For extreme Tamiya history nerds only!!

So I've been researching the history of the TRF touring chassis line.  The first was the 93013 TRF 414X which wasn't exactly a product since it was available in USA only to racing drivers.  The 49132 TRF 414 followed similarly and was only available in Japan.  The first widely available TRF chassis was the 49175 TRF 414M.  There were two special editions: the 49220 Championship Memorial Edition and the 49255 World Championship Replica.  The database lists both of these as using the TRF 414M chassis.  Then there is the 49219 TRF 414M II.  A quick look at the model number and then the dates shows that this was actually released before the two championship editions.  So are those two cars the M chassis or the M II chassis?  In fact, is the M II even a different chassis to begin with?  I started my research with the last question.  I compared the TRF 414 M and the M II step by step and bolt by bolt.  I've never seen a smaller difference between two chassis.  They are the same chassis.  The only differences are: M II uses very slightly different 38mm turnbuckles (though they both use part number 9805760 ), and M II uses different ball diff drive cups ( 53480 versus 9805735 ).  That's it.  So arguably they are actually the same chassis.  On the other hand, the TRF 414 M II does have it's own assembly manual, so it is also fair to call it a different chassis.  So what about the championship editions?  I don't have the manual for 49220 so I can't check that one, but 49255 uses the updated drive cups from the M II.  Since that's the only difference between the M and the M II, you could certainly argue that the 49255 World Championship Replica is actually a TRF 414M II.  The final problem is that the 49255 manual specifically lists is as using the 414M chassis which can only be true if the M II is not really even a separate chassis.

Based on Internet photos, there is some evidence that 49219 and 49220 are actually the same kit but for different markets and the 49220 comes with a Protoform body.

OK, that should be complicated enough.

In my opinion, 49175, 49219, 49220,  and 49255 should all be listed under the TRF 414M heading.  

I love this nerd-stuff , I just wish I had more time diving into it...

Here's what I've done in the DataBase, and I don't claim it to be correct or consistent throughout, so be kind :-)

The Models are listed with Tamiya's name on the Chassis, all the bells and whistles. Most of these chassis' names are also listed as individual chassis in the Chassis DataBase.
In The Chassis Database. I have grouped the closely related chassis' into groups, like the group I called "TRF414", listing TRF414X, TRF414, TRF414M and TRF414M II.
The TRF414M "Champ" and "World" editions are listed as TRF414M chassis as I considered them as just hopped up versions of the 414M. (Inconsistent, I know...)

So I can argue   that I follow your thinking, although I ended up making a slightly bigger chassis group including the 414 and 414x also.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 8 months 1 week ago #76225

The Models are listed with Tamiya's name on the Chassis, all the bells and whistles. Most of these chassis' names are also listed as individual chassis in the Chassis DataBase.
In The Chassis Database. I have grouped the closely related chassis' into groups, like the group I called "TRF414", listing TRF414X, TRF414, TRF414M and TRF414M II.
The TRF414M "Champ" and "World" editions are listed as TRF414M chassis as I considered them as just hopped up versions of the 414M. (Inconsistent, I know...)

So I can argue   that I follow your thinking, although I ended up making a slightly bigger chassis group including the 414 and 414x also.

I think we are largely in agreement.  The only thing I've proposed that is different than what you are already doing is that the TRF 414M II could also be considered just a hopped up version of the 414M.  On the other hand if the M II is considered a separate chassis, then the World Edition is actually a hopped up version of the M II, not the M.

You are right that is impossible to be totally consistent.  In a way, every single TRF chassis is really it's own thing since they are all different.

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 6 months 3 weeks ago #76774

The page for the 93013 TRF 414X model lists it as Buggy but it should be Onroad.
www.tamiyabase....dels/93013

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 6 months 3 weeks ago #76777

The page for the 93013 TRF 414X model lists it as Buggy but it should be Onroad.
www.tamiyabase....dels/93013

Thank you!
Fixed now.

-Lars

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 6 months 5 days ago #76906

On the parts list for the 58044 Pajero, the wheeliebar is listed two times.
And when looking up the wheeliebar for which vehicle it fits, the Pajero is listed two times as well.
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 6 months 4 days ago #76909

On the parts list for the 58044 Pajero, the wheeliebar is listed two times.
And when looking up the wheeliebar for which vehicle it fits, the Pajero is listed two times as well.

Thank you Richard, well spotted!
All sorted now 
-Lars
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Reports on the new site HERE!!! 6 months 3 days ago #76929

I have adds each time I want open a topic. Is it normal or have I a virus /spam?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.