Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 5 months ago #4394

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5319

This is so cool, hope to see pictures of the front hood finished, i have never seen this on a custom high-lift before. The color, blue for the engine and red for the diff caps is a good one too, it is used quite a lot for restaurations of 40s/50s REAL trucks. 1954chevypickup...rom-2.html

Feraz

Last edit: by achmedachmed.

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5329

Hey thanks Feraz, I must actually update this thread. The F350 is basically done apart from some small teething problems.

I'll update it later today.

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5339

That rear cage is a piece of art, looks like you did some copperweld :woohoo: Nice bended curves.

Did you cut the fronthood with sewingtread? beacause it seems you didnt lose much plastic material when removing the fronthood.

Feraz:)

Last edit: by achmedachmed.

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5345

I tried the sewing thread method, but I couldn't get it to work properly. I used a Dremel. The best tools for any RC builder. I used the thinnest cutoff disc. About 1mm.

Here is some more of the build process. I copied the most common mods on the internet as you can see. This mod drops the centre of gravity, which is a big problem on the Highlifts.

As you can see, I did away with the leaf springs, they are more pain than pleasure. If you roll over, they bend. I'm using them in a trailer I'm building for the F350. 21.5 turn brushless provides the power for the truck. Finished off with custom 4 links suspension.

And I inverted a 17kg metal gear servo and installed it in front to add more nose wieght.

I'll find more pics and update soon.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Louisbaby.

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5356

I tried the sewing thread method, but I couldn't get it to work properly. I used a Dremel. The best tools for any RC builder. I used the thinnest cutoff disc. About 1mm.

I recently bought a razor saw (with a 0.3mm blade) & have found it very useful for longer/straighter cuts :)

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5545

Couple pics of primer:

Couple of coats of "XF-51 Khaki Drab"

More soon...

Last edit: by Louisbaby.

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 4 months ago #5546

Don't worry too much about the marks on the bonnet in the first picture, it showed up after spraying the primer so I sanded down and refilled the area before spraying the main color. The other picture has probably got you guys wondering what it is I sprayed there. Here it is installed:

It looks much better when the body is installed, and you open the bonnet. I will neaten up the wiring when everything comes together.

Here is the finished Grill/bumper:

I've got a surprise with the paint work. Something totally different to the normal themes on F350s. I should have progress tonight.
Attachments:

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 3 months ago #5579

Nice, doe you plan to make something to lock the fronthood?
Like a pressure and klick system or something? :cheer:

Feraz

Re: Tamiya Ford F350 Highlift 3 SPD "Make over" 12 years 3 months ago #5591

Hey Feraz, i'm using a magnet system I used before on scale hatches on my dads airplane. It worked great. I'll post pics soon.

But for now, my progress:

Looks a little different to the other Tamiya F350's out there...
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.