Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 2 years 7 months ago #68494

Roof sprayed white & backed with silver:

Last of the masking (and protective film) peeled ... there are faults, but it's a bit better on close inspection than the first one :)

Build article in the September 2021 issue of Tamiya Model Magazine International featured one in red:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 2 years 7 months ago #68496

Red is great too, but nothing beats your 2 tone color choice
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 7 months ago #68500

I prefer the blue and white one. Only a tiny intérior and a rack on the hood in addition and 🤤
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68564

I built the chassis in two hits, TBH it was a bit of chore, I’ve done several M based builds recently & they get less & less fun as the number go up IMO. 

I did notice a few changes from the first Ghia though – a step in the manual showing sticking number # 41 (bottom centre on the sheet – “1/10 RC VOLKSWAGEN KARMANN GHIA TAMIYA INC”) to the right upper chassis extension.

Obviously I’ve seen the decal before (and ones like it on many other cars going back a long way, I’ve just not seen any detail on placement before :whistle: 

The rear tyres are still very soft, but no longer had the “S GRIP” text on them.  

I also noticed there were, far fewer metal parts/fasteners left over at the end of the build – in fact there weren’t enough of several types of screw to even finish it. I had to hit the spares boxes on at least 4 occasions, it may have even been 6 :blink: 

Bucking the trend was the inclusion of an extra pair of 39mm shock shafts, presumably for use in building oil shock optional upgrades. I can’t prove they weren’t there before as I no longer have the 1st car or manual – but with a year between the two there’s a noticeable mk.1/mk.2 thing going on ;)  

Despite using the same 5 minute (often less, TBH) epoxy as last time on the body side magnets – and a new pair of tubes at that – for some reason it sat there stinking for 25 minutes+, stinking, and softening the paint before going unusually quickly from thin & clear to hard & cloudy.

On the rear there are two round shadows that are noticeable from some angles, on the front though they are much worse, including scraping right through to the clear where I accidentally jiggled the body a tiny bit during the not curing period :(

The black Ghia is Miss October on my current "Retro Cars" calendar :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68566

I find the decals go better when I cut them all out before hand :)

I painted the front indicators with 2 coats of X-26 Clear Orange (instead of using the opaque orange kit decals) this time & it looks way better for it.

I may add radio gear & the ESC at some point, but TBH I've got no inclination to run it - even if I did use metals bearings throughout.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68567

Totally gratuitous extra posed shots :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, yogi-bear, stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001, Ducksnuts

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68569

Miss ghia is gorgeous Jonny. I tend to paint rear lights and don't use decals . Except for the last decals sheet of the beetle. They tend to not stick well. For the model decals, I had the same sticker for the hyppies bully of my friend. A sticker has to be puted up to the aq space. 
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko, jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68570

An awesome diorama Jonny. I love it

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68575

great work, looks great. i really love this color combo.

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68592

More gratuitous pics - wondering if a new smartphone with a claimed 64mp camera is better than a 13yr old 12MP Nikon compact ... even with reducing the pics to forum-manageable sizes the answer appears to be not always. Although I didn't have to use the sharpen filter on any shots, and have only had to fiddle with the brightness/contrast once so far...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, silvertriple, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.