Keyword

TOPIC:

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44783

A real beauty.

.. but shouldn't the side-steps (just under the doors) be rubber-black?

Is it finished?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44784

... but shouldn't the side-steps (just under the doors) be rubber-black?

Is it finished?

Depends on your reference material (and there are always anomalies) - but the Tamiya RC Guide Books show photos of actual RC cars (whether studio or action shots) & built/painted bodyparts sets as having the sills in black, but boxart pics always show them in white.

It's very easy to be preescriptive about what is "correct" now that all the boxart shades actually exist & are called out in the manuals, but the further you go back in Tamiya's past the less absolutes there are ... for me the sill colour is down to personal preference & I like them better in white :)

Finished ... apart from the decals & driver I'd say yes ... though I might want to go back to the chassis & think about blasting/peening the alloy bits that were burnished/polished the first time I "restored" it ... & possibly put the "correct" colour wires on the MSC ... :whistle:
Attachments:

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44786

In deed I see. Well then it is all as correct as it can be. In any case it's a great job.

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44787

Just looking at the scan I posted earlier ... is that a stripe on the drivers helmet or just shadow?

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44788

For comparison, Guide Book scan - note black sills on RC car & white on boxart pic:

This is from the 1893 edition which has a lot of other anomalies - different decals on the Holiday Buggy (full yellow nose, "BAJA 500" instead of "CALIFORNIA",, etc); Super Champ in black with blue wheels & side vents, no "FS" on the rear panel); SWA Ranger with a white load cover) - so one might want to consider how reliable the source is ...

:)
Attachments:

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44791

Just looking at the scan I posted earlier ... is that a stripe on the drivers helmet or just shadow?

For me it's just a shadow. And on the guide book, the helmet is just white.

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 9 months ago #44831

Don't feel the new driver came out that well, but at least it's considerably more box art than what was there before (not sure what I was thinking there :whistle: ).

Brush cleaning in the ultrasonic tank ... very good at getting the paint out of the hard to reach places (i.e. in between the bristles up inside the ferrule), not so good at getting it off the outside ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 6 months ago #46322

I did actually put the decals on three months ago, but it's taken until today to refit the driver & take proper "finished" photos :blush:

The following user(s) Liked this: VCR

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 6 months ago #46323

Inevitable comparision with my only other Beetle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: oldwilly, VCR

(Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 6 years 6 months ago #46325

Awesome Jonny. :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.