Keyword

TOPIC:

Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12751

Just thought I'd start this for somewhere to post funny/interesting/disappointing etc stories about ebay purchases or sales.
Maybe also somewhere to name and shame bad ebay sellers.

I'll start:

I have been clearing out my RC stuff recently and one of the items I listed was a quite sorry Mardave Marauder chassis. It was basically sound, but missing a few crucial items, specifically, U/J assemblies (rare) and pivot pins for one of the rear swing arms. Also the rare spur gear was stripped (as usual). These were specifically mentioned in the text of the ad. Other missing stuff (bodyshell, radio box lid etc) was obvious from the photo.
I was slightly disappointed by the eventual selling price of just over

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12767

Well, I just got offered 40 GBP for my TT01 RS200 ... I believe that particular eBayer is having what's technically known as a Giraffe :whistle:

Best eBay RC buy: 50 GBP (+ postage) for a mk.1 Sand Scorcher. It needed restoring & some money spending, but still - :y: :)

Biggest swizz: 160 GBP for a "boxed, unused, unfinished build" Monster Beetle ... the box was wet, rotting and falling apart, the chassis was used & rusty, the tyres were falling apart, the body appeared to have been painted with a wire brush, and the nose, bumper & rear bodymount brace were missing :sick:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12776

Last year I won an original Blackfoot that was advertised as broken, however there wouldn't have been needed much parts for repair to complete at least the rolling chassis. The bodyshell had a lot of damage. Along with the lot came a second half-built chassis and golden Monster Beetle wheels (yay) and a lot of small parts.
Intentionally I wanted to build a Monster Beetle out of this, but when I got the lot, I refused to do go on with my plan. The golden rims were broken (too bad, however the Blackfoot wheels and tires were still intact), many screws rusty and the servo saver was missing. Well, at least I utilized a lot of parts to repair my brother's own Monster Beetle and the rest of parts are now useful for my Bush Devil-Monster Beetle conversion.
I still have no plans what to do with the Blackfoot bodyshell. No decals, some holes, will need a lot of TLC, but still not broken enough to bin the poor shell.
So I can't really say if it was a good or a bad deal, however it just turned out a lot different than I had in mind at first.

@Johnny Retro, a Ford RS200? Are there pics of that car? :)
Runner: Sand Viper , Mad Bull , BMW Z4 Hatsune Miku , Kyosho Sandmaster EZ
Project: Hot Shot, Holiday Buggy 2010 (narrowed), Monster Beetle, Super Fighter G, MINI Cooper S 2006
Retired: The Hornet
Still NIB: King Blackfoot

Last edit: by GregM.

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12777

Yeah, JR - Where's the link to that in your sig?

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12779

Yeah, JR - Where's the link to that in your sig?

I wasn't active on TamiyaBase when I built that, so there's no thread here - hence no link in my sig.

If you're interested, there are some pics in the eBay listing here :)

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12783

The Mardave Marauder chassis sold for GBP2.07. The guy must be gutted... :whistle:
@JR - I knew I'd seen that RS200 somewhere :)

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12812

I found out where a couple of my scale welding sets went: here :)

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #12813

:y:
I was going to suggest that you put a picture of your welding kit etc "in context" on your ebay ad. This one:

Of course you would have to put lots of notes about "it's only such and such parts for sale" etc, but I think it would help them sell.

Had a Rotostart turn up today that I paid for three weeks ago :sick: . The idiot seller hadn't read Paypal's rules about new sellers and didn't realise they were going to hang on to his money for 21 days. He is still acting all wounded about it and saying he is going to close his Paypal account in disgust (yeah, like they care).
Stupid thing is, I was in the same situation, but if you follow Paypal's rules (use tracked service and put tracking number into P/P account) as soon as you receive +ve feedback, they release the money.
Luckily I was not desperate for it. I Only paid about eight quid all in and my intention is to put it in the shed and keep it until I decide to get my 1/8th IC Stock Car going.

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #13055

I think I found the most illiterate eBay listing ever :blink:

hi here im selling my audi quattro 110 scale wen i got it of my mate he said it was a tamiya i dont no dont no much about them so wot u see is wot u would get its just had new wheels and brand new low profile tyers and as been fited with sports shocks and springs the body shell is not in bad condion
all it needs to run it is a speed contoler transmitter and a battery and chager its 7.2 volt no returns cos of nater of hobbie

happy bidding will want payment made with in 12 hours of auction ended thanks

Re: Ebay stories and woes 11 years 7 months ago #13063

Yeah i have noticed a few bloomers on FEEbay myself recently :cry:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.