Keyword

TOPIC:

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24340

Have a look at this lot:

Then this one:

I messaged the seller to clarify what he was offering in the first listing (just to see what he said really - I'm not going to bid) and he responded:

"Yes well I think the ad is clear enuff. The 2nd pic I have detailed as a likeness of the item that I am selling. I also have staed which car is for sale in detailed description in the notes.

If I get time I will take further photos but atm I am very busy."

Obviously too busy to take individual pictures of the items (or use correct spelling) :dry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24342

Ooh that just screams of TROUBLE :ohmy:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24343

LOL'd at the line "Similar car in 2nd picture" - since when is a Frog anything like a Bear Hawk ... other than the two having four wheels & being blue in those examples :whistle:

What a plonker :silly:

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24571

I listed my recently acquired Serpent Cobra for a BIN £75 to see what would happen. I didn't really expect to sell it for this much, but the intention was to maybe generate a bit of interest before sending it to an auction on the magical Thursday evening.
On Tuesday I received a best offer of £50, then before I could respond, I got the BIN from the same bidder which cancelled the best offer.

I then receive this message:

"I withdrew my money from my paypal account yesterday morning and then this came on here and I had to have it.The only problem is I don't know how to transfer my money back.Have you got a number I can contact you on or if you could call me 07xxx xxxxxx and maybe we could make other arrangements for payment
Regards,John"

To which I reply:

"Hi, Your Paypal account should be set up to automatically withdraw funds from your bank account if there are not sufficient funds in there. I don't think Paypal will allow you to set up an account without doing this.
Why not just try to make the payment and see what happens? It should say something like "Immediate bank transfer from account xxxx xxxx xxxx". This is what happens with mine."

I have so far had no reply. Does this sound suspicious to you? Could it be an attempt at phishing?

The seller has 347 100% positive feedback - How do you get this many FB without being able to operate your Paypal account? He does seem to sell more than he buys, but still...

Edit: Am I correct in thinking Paypal will not let you operate an account without an alternate means of funding (i.e. bank account, credit card etc)?

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24572

On a more positive note, I received a Kyosho box spanner through the post with no note. I assume it is from the seller that I bought the Stadium Baja Beetle from. Very nice.
I sent a message to thank him.

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24575

I listed my recently acquired Serpent Cobra ...

I've got to admit that my immediate thought when I saw that had sold for 75 GBP was "PT Barnum was right" :whistle: ;)

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have some means of funding Paypal payments to indirectly open an account - for instance if someone sends a payment to your email address & you hadn't already opened an account, I think it would be possible to have a Paypal account funded only by incoming payments.

If you set up a Paypal account with credit card funding, and the card expires, again I think it's possible to run a Paypal account funded only by incoming payments.

As for direct bank account funding, I haven't let Paypal know my bank details, even though they've been nagging for them for years ... they have my credit card details on file & IMO that should be enough for them, any more is for their benefit, not mine.

I think the chances are your buyer is not bent ... but is a bit of a muppet - contracting to buy something without means of payment is not right, and it really is their responsibility to sort it out (by adding a cards or bank account to their Paypal details), not to ask you how to do it.

That said, you are (apparently) dealing with a muppet, and given the sense of entitlement people seem to have (I blame Oprah), and the likelihood of them throwing their toys out of the pram when they don't get their way, to avoid negative feedback I'd be inclined to try & help them out - offer cash on collection, or direct bank payment.

I have a bank account set up for just such a purpose - it never has any money in it, and because it's a "savings" account it can't go overdrawn, and because it's online it has an entirely different sort code (as well as a/c #, obviously) - I feel giving out my bank details is therefore pretty safe.

:)

ps when I say muppet I don't mean the good 1970's ones, I mean the rubbish ones from "That Puppet Game Show" :blink:

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24576

I've got to admit that my immediate thought when I saw that had sold for 75 GBP was "PT Barnum was right" :whistle: ;)

Does that mean you were one of the 11 watchers it had before the muppet hit the BIN button?

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24581

Does that mean you were one of the 11 watchers it had before the muppet hit the BIN button?

| was curious :whistle:

Attachments:

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24594

George Retro :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Ebay stories and woes 10 years 8 months ago #24595

...given the sense of entitlement people seem to have (I blame Oprah)..

Haha.. I love this line.. I have to agree more and more...

Shawn
Current Project: The Dylan Project Grasshopper

My Projects in the works: The Fighting Frog, The Restoration of my Fox, Back in the Day Blackfoot Racer, The JRX-2's, Yokomo YZ-10's of fury x3

I'm not a Re-re yet!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.