Keyword

TOPIC:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 10 years 2 months ago #27721

Also heavily edited the list of part numbers (when I was theorising about "missing" items, especially servos) on 1st page to reflect that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that AS-4, AS-6, AS-8, AS-9, AS-10, AS-13 servos exist.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: deleted RFI :)

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 9 months ago #29925

Edited 1st post to reflect confirmed sighting of mk.4 set with AS-11 servos + AR-227F RX with long antenna.

Re: Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 8 months ago #30117

Still not finished...

- trying to add picture of "Mk.IV" box (still after pics of "Mk.I", Mk.III (two distinct varieties) and "mk.VII" BTW) but

- Removed references to "thumb span" (I thought at first it was the definitive measurement for small hand and/or short digit transmitter comfort, but I realised some time ago that it really isn't :whistle:)

I'm also minded to add a line for each version re. boxes/contents, I believe this to be correct (as far as it goes):

Techniplus "Mk.I"
Flat card box; Design tbc, believed to be dark green with black panels. Polystyrene clamshell containing transmitter, reciever, two servos, fittings, crystals, 4xAA battery holder & switch, TX antenna pennant (colour matched to crystals), and basic nylon cord lanyard (again, colour matched)

Techniplus Mk.II
Dark green with orange & white lettering & plan photo of TX. Contents as Mk.I

Techniplus Mk.III
Two distinct versions, first blue with black panels, later BEC equipped units grey to black fade. Contents as Mk.I and Mk.II except lanyard omitted & insert changes to polystyrene insert with simple lid.

Technidrive "Mk.IV"
2 tone mid & light brown with white lettering. Later versions had metal effect "BEC" stickers added. Contents as Mk.III

Techniplus "Mk.V" (Chrome)
Grey to Black fade with white lettering. Contents as Mk.IV except pennant omitted

Techniplus Alpha "Mk.VI"
Same grey to black fade as Mk.V, white & orange lettering + green/blue "Alpha". Contents as Mk.V

Techniplus "Mk.VII" CE
Black & red diagonally split. Two variations, overseas (tbc) have "Asahi RADIO" text and Asahi logo, on UK versions these are covered by "WITH NEW RECEIVER" and "Think Happy" (really) instead. Contents as Mk.V and Mk.VI single sided fibre insert.

Techniplus "Mk.VIII"
Black with red fade. Contents as Mk.VII

Techniplus 2.4Ghz "Mk.IX"
Construction changes to light corrugated card box; Black & white with red lines. Contents now just TX, RX & manual.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 8 months ago #30259

Added in notes about boxes to the original post; had to "borrow" a couple of box pics to make it complete - though we're not there just yet, we still need a mk.1 box photo.

2nd thing - does anyone care about Acoms chargers? Assuming I can find the box with them all in, I believe I've accidentally formed a collection showing most of the evolution there too - 6v and 7.2v wall wart slow chargers, 6v clockwork fast charger, 7.2v fast, 6v/7.2 switchable fast, 8.4v fast, 7.2v fast (late version) - some of them even boxed.

Do they belong here? In a separate thread? In a free for all "old chargers" thread? Or not at all?
To me, the sound they make is quite evocative - the scritch, scritch of winding the timer, the 15 minutes of "wiki-wiki-wiki-wiki" as they charged, and the "wiki-wiki-POUNK-wiki-wiki-wokka-wokka-wok.." as they finished - even if there's no way I'd use them now....

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 8 months ago #30264

the scritch, scritch of winding the timer, the 15 minutes of "wiki-wiki-wiki-wiki" as they charged, and the "wiki-wiki-POUNK-wiki-wiki-wokka-wokka-wok.."

Most definitly this needs a thread on its own including full stereo vids whilst charging. :laugh:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 7 months ago #31187

An NIB Mk.II set arrived today, it's interesting as it's the first 100% complete set Mk.II I've ever had & therefore I don't have to guess about all the baggies, extras & fittings. It also has a manual & a pair of previously unseeen AS-1S servos.

It won't stay NIB for long, it's going in my Super Champ :D Pics later.

Also spotted an AP427 TX & though it was worth including - colours same as Mk.I and Mk.II, case design very, very similar to Mk.III.
Attachments:

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 6 months ago #31252

I got around to looking at the new Mk.II set ... box is a little dog-eared around the edges but the colour is still very good...

Expanded Polystyrene "clamshell", note formed in logo & (rather unnecessary IMO) "open" text:

Everything still in baggies (though the TX, servos, RX & servos have been opened):

Servos; note "AS-1S" model number & factory fitted small wheel "horns":

Full complement of fiddly bits, frequency ribbon & "neck strap" cord colours are timewarp bright..

Look, no blue/green terminal rot :D

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 5 months ago #31939

This thread is fantastic!

Does anybody know of similar sources for Futaba etc?

I'd like to get a variety of period correct radio gear for my old cars.

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 5 months ago #31955

This thread is fantastic!

Does anybody know of similar sources for Futaba etc?

I'd like to get a variety of period correct radio gear for my old cars.

I'm not aware of anything elsewhere ... A history of Futaba sets (being the "posh" option for 2-channel car RC in the UK, and from what I can tell, the default choice for aero & boats, plus being more popular elsewhere) should be reasonably easy to put together - what it really needs is someone motivated enough to piece together the information that's already out there & throw it open for comments & contributions. It's been asked before but no-one took up the challenge, a quick search on TB gives a place to start, I can also add the "M" series (light brown painted, metal case) sets from around 1976/78 :)

HI!... Is there anywhere I can look up FUTABA RX and Servo info? I have a ton of old vintage Futaba RX and servo's and would like to know what years they were made.

You're the resident expert on Futaba gear, HP - I'm still waiting for you to post it yourself ;) :y:

HI!... If I'm the resident expert, then were all in trouble. lol! :lol:

I did think about starting a thread on Futaba radio gear, but TBH I have very little info to start with & I'm not really interested enough to pursue it ... this is what I do have, you'll see what I mean:

... real early stuff ... no info at all....

... I'm guessing if there was a "Medallion 2", there was a "Medallion"? I think I may even have seen one of them :huh:

Medallion 2(27mhz) - broadly analogous to Mk.2 Acoms set, so Mid 1981 until late 1983?
I have a set (with box) that came with an original Sand Rover, so there's a reasonable chance of the servo & RX part numbers being correct, and having a date somewhere in the paperwork if I look ...

Attack (27mhz)
Purely going on memory, this was the Futaba offering around the time of the Acoms Mk.III & IV (1984-1987?) ...

Attack-R (27mhz) (chrome front) - equivalent to the early end of mk.v Acoms set (1989/1990)?
I just have the TX ...

Attack-SR (27mhz) (off white case with black stick area) - c. 1991?
One of these came with my Manta Ray, so AFAIK the RX & servos will be correct (once I find the thing to check the numbers)

...big gap ...

Attack T2ER (40mhz, CE marked) - 2001 on?
I have a set (with box) that I bought new with a Wild Willy 2 sometime around 2001/2002, so again the servo & RX part numbers will be correct - once I dig the thing out to check...

... current?

It came with a nice Futaba radio, and both a mains and quick charger from Acoms:

What model numbers/names are the radio gear bits BTW? I'm interested as they look to be period & it being a mk.2 chassis dates it quite effectively, TX is definitely not an early M-series or Medallion 2, but on the other hand doesn't quite look like one of the many "Attack" varieties that came later?

The radio gear is 27mhz Futaba, made in Japan.
TX - FP-T2L
RX - FP-R2GS
Servo - FD33M (marked Ripmax/Futaba)

There's also Macgregor, Hitec, JR, many others, and of course Graupner & Tamiya (which AFAIK are just badge engineered). Tamiya radio should be fairly well documented in their catalogues & RC guide books (though it won't be cheap to source a complete collection), other brands you'd probably have to make informed guesses on, based on design & features. :)

Acoms 2-channel stick radio evolution 9 years 5 months ago #31959

Thanks,

I'm afraid my interest is in getting a couple of examples to complement my cars, not getting into collecting radio gear as well. So I was hoping to leech a little here ;-)

I've got a German rebadge (Schuco Tronic) of An Acoms AP-227 MkII, I can upload an image some time if you'd like.

All the other brands are interesting, but Acoms and Futaba are what seem to be possible to find in decent condition and fair price

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.