Keyword

TOPIC:

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43500

I bought some "grafiti remover", sort of gel that smells like oranges. It is called "Paint remover" so I expect it removes paint. Infact it reminds me a lot of the substance we used for removing grafiti when I worked at a housing company here in my neighborhood, but this one smells much better.

I also had the opportunity to test it on one of my heads. So from this ...

... to this:

I think it does a great job. Now I only need to spray it with a primer again, and hopefully it'll be as good as new again to paint in a new motif.

I also stripped the paint from one of my two baja bug drivers, the one with the super-white helmet. I just can't make up my mind what theme I want to use, .. like women who can't decide what shoes to wear!? It's driving me crazy!

I ordered a black XF-85 "Rubber Black" from ebay, for the rubber rim around the hemlets And in the future I'd like all my helmets sprayed, not brushed, to maintain that smooth round look. Also I will be sanding the helmets more generously to hide any edges and crevices. Also I am thinking about always spraying my helmets with "Racing White" color, keeping a white (or grey) suit, and seat belts red with black buckles. Gloves would be red or red/black. I need a style, sort of create an identity for myself in the RC world.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by uncletom.

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43501

Dude! The Uncle Tom Team. Why not yellow suits like your avatar?
Your paint remover looks efficient. Not too agressive for plastics.

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43503

Hahah.. yeah, Team Uncletom. Why not. Ok, the orange you see on my avatar (Mobo from Bonanza Bros. SEGA 1990) is more like Tamiya's "Camel yellow", which is a good color. Infact sprayed my beetle with it.

It's OK but ..., I don't love it. It isn't my color. I can use it in transitions or when striping. If I had a jeep I'd use it. But not on my off-roaders. I'd rather spray my bug bright white with double stripes from front to back, red, orange or camel yellow, or some lighter blue. My paint remover is a relief, now I can change my mind without buying another body. Also my Tamiya ABS Cement is a great glue - it's not permanent! Yes, I can disassemble anything glued with it, and re-glue it again.

Now is the moment of truth. The dawn of creation is here, I am about to be born.

Attachments:

Last edit: by uncletom.

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43504

I like it in camel yellow. That changes. And it is shiny.
Why not a black suit with yellow strips on sleeves? With a TUT logo. ;)

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43506

Black suit with yellow stripes, along the arms / sleeves? Hmm.. interesting. I'd need a flat black then, and a bright flat yellow. And I need to get some more white primer.

In this case I'd rater do a dark blue suite with yellow, or white stripes on the sleeves. Otherwise it would just all blend in with the flat black on the driver's base-panel on the Buggy Champ and Fighting Buggy.

For reference I'm including Tamiya's PS-chart. I would still use the XF-colors (10 ml) but I can't find a complete chart over them at the moment.

Attachments:

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43507

A quick question about grease. These aren't the same greases, are they? The bigger tube "ceramic grease" I got with Sand Scorcher, Fighting Buggy.. etc, and the smaller tube "Tamiya Grease" I got with the Holiday Buggy re-re.

Is the Tamiya Grease some cheaper budget grease? I have a feeling the ceramic grease is the one to use.

Attachments:

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43508

:) flat black is xf1 semi gloss x18. You can use pc1 for polycarbonate but flat on plastic.
Ceramic grease is a ceramic charged grease, and tamiya grease is a more multi purpose grease like molycote grease. I personnaly use copper grease or Renault plastic grease or a bearing grease. That's depending of the viscosity you need. I like «hard» grease like the copper charged grease. This one give the transmission harder and a harder diff. I had one matter on a ta02 with ceramic grease. It eated all gears like if they were sand blasted. (I had this problem only one time) .
So, like I had the opportunity to have copper and «plastic» greases at work, I use them. But better ones exist and hard drivers should give you better advices than me.

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43509

:) oh. For your pilots suits, you can use juices or pastels to make them used.
Jonny Retro wrote articles on that and the result is just crazy.
I use easy solution. Oil pastels on a brush. White, black, brown etc. And I mix the different colors. The result is nice. I used this method on several of my military scales.

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43513

Thanks for the good lesson about grease. This Tamiya Greas seems very thin, like oil almost when I get it on my fingers and it gets a little warm.

About painting; Sting, you forget that I am not so advanced. I only just began this hobby. I cannot mix colors and do realistic patinas on my drivers. It is way beyond my skills, and ambitions. But still thank you for the tips. Perhaps I will try it one day.

UT's Buggies 6 years 11 months ago #43515

I have a very small skill and I don't know how to do do nice patinas. I use oil pastels (like crayola) on a brush and «brush» dirty zones with brown or white or black. That's very easy and you can back if the result is not good for you with paper towel ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.