TOPIC: 58116 Dyna Storm restoration

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50955

So, after buying new parts for a while, I'm ready to start rebuilding the Dyna Storm.

This is the good example I bought here I Norway, in good nick and well maintained.




I got hold of a lot of new vintage parts on ebay, costing an arm and a leg..



I'm still waiting for the pink, no-name motor.

Now, let's start the build!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50956

Step 1, applying Velcro tape.
Starting off easy, but using new parts.

Decided to have the "stiff" parts of the Velcro on the chassis and the soft bit on the body.





Step 2, chassis assembly.
Time to get the screwdriver out... 10 tap screws to secure into plastic.
Again, using new K-parts and new chassis plate.





Step 3, battery holder.
Final step for now adding the battery holder and front bumper to the chassis plate.



There, the main parts of the chassis plate assembled.


Next is steering and front suspension.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Last Edit: by larbut.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50958

Let's gooo <3
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50963

larbut wrote: I'm still waiting for the pink, no-name motor.

Now, let's start the build!


Hey man,
Looking good so far, just in case you did not know MCI has the decal for the pink motor now and you can buy all his motor decals as singles instead of a full sheet as before.
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......
 
 

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50964

Cool, I didn't know. I'll have a look at www.mciracing.ca :-)

oldwilly wrote:

larbut wrote: I'm still waiting for the pink, no-name motor.

Now, let's start the build!


Hey man,
Looking good so far, just in case you did not know MCI has the decal for the pink motor now and you can buy all his motor decals as singles instead of a full sheet as before.

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Last Edit: by larbut.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50982

Slowly moving forward on this build, while waiting for the pink motor which shipped from Singapore 11 days ago and still no trace here in Norway.
I consoled myself by getting hold of new E-parts today, from Germany.

Anyway, step 4, steering arms

Two used plastic bits combined with nice hardware and 6mm adjusters.



Assembled
Attachments:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50983

Step 5, attaching steering arms.

Remember those tiny spacers...
Notice the metal bearings. These four and another in the clutch is the only difference between this 58116 kit and the reissue 49190 which had ballbearings all over. And of course the kit-included pink Acto-power motor.

Before


After
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50984

Step 6, front uprights

The final 2 used plastic bits, the rest will be new.

It's hard to see, but the knuckle arms are actually left and right versions, although not marked.





Now I have to wait for the D parts to arrive before I can continue... :(
Attachments:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Last Edit: by larbut.

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 1 week ago #50992

larbut wrote: Step 6, front uprights

The final 2 used plastic bits, the rest will be new.

It's hard to see, but the knuckle arms are actually left and right versions, although not marked.





Now I have to wait for the D parts to arrive before I can continue... :(

You'll have ro be patient :p

58116 Dyna Storm restoration 2 months 6 days ago #51002

I know, Flo, I'm just not very good at waiting...
So I decided to skip steps 7 to 11 for now and start on step 12, Ball Differential:

The Ball diff on the Dyna Storm is a nice piece og engineering. Not very different from other Tamiya ball diffs, but just seem a little more well made.

The parts:




Disk springs and thrust bearing ready:




Intermediate step, wehre all relevant parts are greased wit Tamiya Ball Diff Grease:



And now for the difficult part, adjusting the diff.
The manual says to tighten the screw until you no lonager can turn the gear locking the two diff joints using the Wing Stay (!). That is not a very accurate measurement as long as strength of the individuals may vary a lot, I guess.
Anyway, I adjeted to something that felt decent for a ball diff...




Just add the last screw, and...




You're done!

Attachments:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.
Last Edit: by larbut.
Moderators: Jonny RetroAndyAus
Time to create page: 8.355 seconds