Keyword

TOPIC:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29501

Got off my backside & investigated my Mu - yep it uses the forward sets of mounts, & yep I see what you mean about the chassis rails being not where they're supposed to be (Waaayy inboard).
Had a bit of a depressed-toned giggle at the lower link material, mounting method, shock mounting position etc, I can't imagine why they went out of their way to make something so "wrong" out of something that was so very nearly "right".
The later Fronteras (Vauxhall-mutilated Mu) were coil sprung/4-linked, but nothing like Tamiya's take on it.

Interesting point about the damper orientation - can't remember if my Fronty was like it, but both my Hiluxs had 1x shock slanting forward & 1x shock slanting backward on the rear axle. Thinking about it, it probably doesn't matter how upright they are as they're just providing friction, not providing springing effect - seized pivot bolts would do a similar job

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29515

It occurs to me that cart springs with a fixing on each end need a floaty bit on one end so they can expand as they are compressed, otherwise the suspension will only have very restricted movement & put strain on the mounts :whistle:

As this thread is about CC-01 suspension & was prompted by my CC-01 build, I'm going to merge the two ... this could be carnage :blink:

edit - that worked ok so I moved the combined thread into "scratch builds" ... I see it now has a total of "1 views" :silly:
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29521

Rainy season has arrived (last week of June, first week of Wimbledon) ...

Masking for grille was quite involved :whistle:

Shiny! :D

Clear stickers & transfers printed, wallpaper panels cut out & all clearcoated; interior window frames & stripes cut from vinyl:

Starting on trailer...

Cart spring suspension (should make eddrick happy ;) ); springs are 1/14 Tamiya truck, axle is 6mm tube bored out to fit M4 studding (a bit crude, but given the likely speed & mileage, good enough), brackets (including two cut & ground down for rear expansion links) are the last of my RCChannel bag; 6x brass spacers cut from tube are all but invisible in use; top spring pad is styrene, lower is aluminium; I'll remake u-bolts from M2 studding when it arrives :)

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29526

C'mon, who would need a trailer to that huge camper van? :lol:

As usual, I can't believe the amount of quality work you put into your builds. :y:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29527

Very impressive work Jon :y:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29530

C'mon, who would need a trailer to that huge camper van? :lol: ...

Someone with a left over back of a pick up body? ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: SteveU30

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29541

More work on the trailer ...

edit - forgot to mention I had to make my own "F O R D" lettering thanks to swapping out the centre portion of the tailgate with the one for the "new" Blackfoot body :blush:

New frame built, suspension screwed on, load cover from body back forcibly removed, and the remains fixed on:

Insides paneled in, wheel arch covers (didn't come out as curvy as I would have liked) made & glued in ...

Spare wheel & toolbox started ...

Oops ... but it did make my mind up to make a proper trailer board rather than rework the original rear "lights" ...

Made (very thin) bits for sculpting the load bed + worked out spacing ...

Glued in ...

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29552

More work on the trailer - I changed my mind about the lights, making something a little closer to the original; ribbing on the underside is a bit superfluous, lock & shackle more visible but very time consuming ...

It still needs filling, rubbing down, ironmongery removing, light lenses making & painting, primer, spraying, clearcoat, masking, load bed spraying, reassembly, details & decals, wiring ... other than that it's done :whistle:

:)
Attachments:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29554

:woohoo: All in the week end!!!! crazy.
In France, Some years ago the mode was to cut a Renault4 f4 and use the rear cabin for a trailer :y: :y: :y:

CC-01s: RV, Unimog, Bedford TM, Valp, Ford CMP, Series 3 Land Rover, SD Revopak 9 years 10 months ago #29560

Been a long time since I saw a Renault 4 on the road ...

Anyway, look what I found :woohoo:

:whistle:
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: waterbok, stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.842 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.