Keyword

TOPIC:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25884

:woohoo: Realy nice!
a 1/10th diorama.
I am realy small player with my 1/35th... :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25886

HI!... Thats not a garagw untill theres a 2 post hoist in there. Lol. Now that would be cool. How about a cherry picker and engine stand?

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25890

I'm still thinking about the layout for a garage diorama ... conventional wisdom is that it should be open one one of the long sides. That does have some appeal for use as a backdrop for photos of cars, but even the quite wide & tall proportions I tested out don't really work - the sides need to be taller, and further apart in order to get a photo where anything outside the diorama doesn't show - by the time I'd got in close enough and at an angle to show just garage, it doesn't look very good, and looks very small. Given how big this setup would have to be, and the fact it looks too busy with my scale stuff in it, I think I'm going to reject this kind of layout.

End on, on the other hand, it doesn't need to be taller, it can be a little less deep, and still looks fairly spacious. There's also more room for stuff in there as I can use both long sides. It's not as good for photos as I'd never get a completely side on shot, but moderate angles should be possible. It'll be while before I can start on this though :(

years back I went to a railway exhibition (there were some great layouts - always are) but the one I remember had black ends. bit hard to describe but basically the diorama / layout was say 4 meters long. then at each end the vertical was painted black and the track and trains 'disappeared' in to blackness.
There was a little note explaining this and that it was / is a Japanese technique to have an 'end'. logic being that there is no end and that the diorama could go on for ever - just like the real world does - but its not practical or possible to model it all.

so after that, my suggestion, is to make a back wall a side wall, maybe part of a roof and if you need any other side - paint them black.

then as I typed the above paragraph, I thought that one wall could be the opening in to the work shop, with doors open and the door area painted black - either as the 'end' or as the outside world at night.
probably doesn't explain clearly, but I tried!

An alternate would be to take your car and accessories out in to real world and set up an service area on a rally stage. put a blue sheet down to represent a clean area on the ground, put car up on axle stands, an awning over the top and so.

Then get down at ground level and take pictures from a realist height. with some care moving around and focus, you can use the back ground to look almost realistic and scale.
I just did this recently with a tank model I built a few years ago.

Hay Ewe
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26000

Had a go at a 1:10 scale J. Edgar - main body is a chunk of nylon, other made bits are styrene + a bit of aluminium rod drilled & tapped at each end...

Note the fibrous nature of machined Nylon 66 ... at least priming it shows where the problems are so they can be sanded back...

Paint ... you should see where this is going ...

... assemble & homemade decals applied:

:)

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26001

:y: That looks clean :laugh:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26002

HI!... That "sucks"............. Lol. :)

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26004

:y: That looks clean :laugh:

HI!... That "sucks"............. Lol. :)

Excuse me while I get my trumpet out ... "wah-wah wah-waaaaah" ;)

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26005

Also started on a compressor...

Starting on the platform:

Tank is nylon 66, other bits are styrene:

Assembling those + more fiddling resulted in...

... even more fiddling, then aralditing to the tank, the resemblance to a yellow submarine is ... partial? ;)

Aralditing the chassis on:

I've done a bit of disassembly & the bits have been primed, they're outgassing ATM :)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26007

Top work sir,you must have a great deal of patience,and shares in a styrene factory!

Last edit: by stevieg.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #26020

Primed yesterday & painted today ... I also need to fake up some hose & at least one air tool, otherwise there's not much point having a compressor in my fantasy garage ;)

Something else I need to do (and for the hoover, fridge, pillar drill, radio & bench grinder, plus some other things I still want to make) is make some mains leads ... that's easy enough, but plugs & sockets less so .... theoretically I need each plug to have three 0.3mm x 0.7mm pins in them. I might cheat & have everything already "plugged in" to wall sockets & cable reels etc to avoid having to do that :whistle:

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.594 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.