Keyword

TOPIC:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25713

:unsure: Jonny I would like to make some accessories for my Rcs and I would like to know what materials you use to make your accessories.

It's all here in this thread, nothing is hidden, a black art or secret ... but if I had to make a list:

Materials:
- A4 Styrene sheet: 3mm, 1.5mm, 1mm, 0.25mm
- 1mm lexan sheet
- Round styrene tube: 20mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm, 2mm
- Round styrene bar: 3mm, 2mm
- Round aluminium bar: 10mm, 8mm, 6mm
- Aluminium sheet: 3mm, 2mm, 1.5mm, 1mm, 0.5mm
- anodised/annealed aluminium wire (look for 1mm, 2mm & 3mm "bonsai" wire)
- M2, M3, M4 screws, M2, M3 studding, paperclips, sewing pins
- Wet & dry paper: all the grades but I's say 80, 240, 400 & 1000 are most useful
- Tamiya X & XF acrylic paints + thinners, cocktail sticks for stirring, saved pots for mixing quantities of custom colours, bulk 2ml syringes, takeaway tub lids for mixing small amounts & washes
- "Squadron" brand white putty
- Humbrol "Precision Poly" glue, Dichloromethane (as "plastic weld"), superglue
masking tapes: cheap stuff, + Tamiya 6mm & 10mm for precision work

Tools:
- lots of small brushes
- pencils & electric sharpener
- cheap digital vernier gauge
- lots of steel rulers: 450mm, 300mm & 150mm
- small engineers square
- cheap craft knives
- A3 & A4 cutting mats
- M2, M3 & M4 taps & dies
- desktop lathe
- Razor saws
- cordless drill, small drill bits
- Dremel type tool & small bits, cutting discs, sanding drums
- Needle files
- clothes pegs (for clamping)

... that's quite a list, some of it I'd say is quite "advanced", but you can go quite a long way with 3mm & 1.5mm Styrene sheet, suitable glue & putty/filler, a few grades of wet & dry paper, a paints & brushes, a ruler, craft knife & A4 cutting mat - I doubt I used any more than that on the crates, ammo boxes, toolchests & so on at the beginning of this thread

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25718

Just catching up on this thread and im pretty well impressed Jon. Seperately from Tamiya collecting and looking at the detailing in this scale model building in its own right your a master model maker by anyones standard. The comments are not flattery some of the work your running out is like you would see in a museum. How many years have you been doing this for?

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25719

Result from making a pin board (3mm styrene, pre-drilled with a 0.6mm bit) didn't really give a better overall result ... I may look at making some sort of seal strip but otherwise I'm calling this done

Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25720

... How many years have you been doing this for?

1st stuff is in the 1st post in this thread - apparently 1 year & 11 months ago.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25721

Jonny, next time you're in the local hobbyshop, pick up some leadwire, exellent for these kind of uses, and the plastic coated wire which gardeners use ot bind plants is also handy, it holds paint very well.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25726

:unsure: Jonny I would like to make some accessories for my Rcs and I would like to know what materials you use to make your accessories.

It's all here in this thread, nothing is hidden, a black art or secret ... but if I had to make a list:

Materials:
- A4 Styrene sheet: 3mm, 1.5mm, 1mm, 0.25mm
- 1mm lexan sheet
- Round styrene tube: 20mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm, 2mm
- Round styrene bar: 3mm, 2mm
- Round aluminium bar: 10mm, 8mm, 6mm
- Aluminium sheet: 3mm, 2mm, 1.5mm, 1mm, 0.5mm
- anodised/annealed aluminium wire (look for 1mm, 2mm & 3mm "bonsai" wire)
- M2, M3, M4 screws, M2, M3 studding, paperclips, sewing pins
- Wet & dry paper: all the grades but I's say 80, 240, 400 & 1000 are most useful
- Tamiya X & XF acrylic paints + thinners, cocktail sticks for stirring, saved pots for mixing quantities of custom colours, bulk 2ml syringes, takeaway tub lids for mixing small amounts & washes
- "Squadron" brand white putty
- Humbrol "Precision Poly" glue, Dichloromethane (as "plastic weld"), superglue
masking tapes: cheap stuff, + Tamiya 6mm & 10mm for precision work

Tools:
- lots of small brushes
- pencils & electric sharpener
- cheap digital vernier gauge
- lots of steel rulers: 450mm, 300mm & 150mm
- small engineers square
- cheap craft knives
- A3 & A4 cutting mats
- M2, M3 & M4 taps & dies
- desktop lathe
- Razor saws
- cordless drill, small drill bits
- Dremel type tool & small bits, cutting discs, sanding drums
- Needle files
- clothes pegs (for clamping)

... that's quite a list, some of it I'd say is quite "advanced", but you can go quite a long way with 3mm & 1.5mm Styrene sheet, suitable glue & putty/filler, a few grades of wet & dry paper, a paints & brushes, a ruler, craft knife & A4 cutting mat - I don't I used any more than that on the crates, ammo boxes, toolchests & so on at the beginning of this thread

Thanks JR

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25876

I'm still thinking about the layout for a garage diorama ... conventional wisdom is that it should be open one one of the long sides. That does have some appeal for use as a backdrop for photos of cars, but even the quite wide & tall proportions I tested out don't really work - the sides need to be taller, and further apart in order to get a photo where anything outside the diorama doesn't show - by the time I'd got in close enough and at an angle to show just garage, it doesn't look very good, and looks very small. Given how big this setup would have to be, and the fact it looks too busy with my scale stuff in it, I think I'm going to reject this kind of layout.

End on, on the other hand, it doesn't need to be taller, it can be a little less deep, and still looks fairly spacious. There's also more room for stuff in there as I can use both long sides. It's not as good for photos as I'd never get a completely side on shot, but moderate angles should be possible. It'll be while before I can start on this though :(

Attachments:

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25877

Hi Jonny,

If you don't mind me doing a suggestion, you could use just a back and sidewall, if you use a diagonal roofline, weathered outside and with some construction on the inside to keep it up you have a exellent backdrop for pictures and something nice to look at, in static modelling it's called a shadowbox, if you make a window in the sidewall you can make pictures just like if you were looking through a real window, just a thought to let you think about a different approach.

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25878

This is a great job and you are a weathering master but... there's no weathering on the Baja Bug?

Max

Scratch building scale accessories, + weathering 10 years 6 months ago #25879

JR, regarding the section you want when taking the photo.
Experiment with moving the camera further away and use the zoom function. (if your camera has one...)
The method brings the object close as with the camera close to the object, but limits the wide picture angle when using no or little zoom. (and thus eliminating some of the background)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.570 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.