Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63727

Thanks, I did think about that & the track units turn fine in both directions by hand, and when not touching the floor. When it's failing to move backwards, lifting it allows the tracks to spin, so I'm pretty confident that nothing in the drivetrain is jamming up or dragging. Or, at least, not more in one direction than the other, and not more than you'd expect from a thick rubber track being forced through some pretty small radius turns.

I also thought about the back edges of the skis dragging/digging in when going backwards. TBH I'm leaning towards the massive amount of toe-in on the rear - it's 20mm wider at the back of the tracks than the front.

This is the default setup for the M-06m the only other option being massive amounts of toe-out, there are no options (at least not in the kit). Going forwards the slack in the suspension means the toe-in is lessened, but going backwards it's increased. That plus the high grip (large contact area, cleated rubber to domestic carpet, weight) I suspect is the problem.

It's not ideal, but I think the "fix" is going to be a freshly charged, new(ish) Lipo pack, a slippery surface (dust, ice, snow etc, or at least wet) & an area large enough to accomodate the turning circle :)    

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63730

I'm actually devouring all your posts, stunning creations Sir.

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63731

Thanks, I did think about that & the track units turn fine in both directions by hand, and when not touching the floor. When it's failing to move backwards, lifting it allows the tracks to spin, so I'm pretty confident that nothing in the drivetrain is jamming up or dragging. Or, at least, not more in one direction than the other, and not more than you'd expect from a thick rubber track being forced through some pretty small radius turns.

I also thought about the back edges of the skis dragging/digging in when going backwards. TBH I'm leaning towards the massive amount of toe-in on the rear - it's 20mm wider at the back of the tracks than the front.

This is the default setup for the M-06m the only other option being massive amounts of toe-out, there are no options (at least not in the kit). Going forwards the slack in the suspension means the toe-in is lessened, but going backwards it's increased. That plus the high grip (large contact area, cleated rubber to domestic carpet, weight) I suspect is the problem.

It's not ideal, but I think the "fix" is going to be a freshly charged, new(ish) Lipo pack, a slippery surface (dust, ice, snow etc, or at least wet) & an area large enough to accomodate the turning circle :)    

Aha, I did not think of that.
The rear toe is indeed the problem. causes to much resistance when going backwards as the tracks want to go in different directions.
Doing that on skies, and your body will split in half :D

There is a solution tho' as I found online.
Fit the hop-up uprights for the TL01/M03 #53345 as they are intended to give toe-in on those, which will bring the toe to zero on the M06.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Lemsko

Last edit: by caprinut.

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63733

Nice one, have just ordered a set :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63775

Still catching up with some of the minor jobs that weren't really possible while buried in stuff - "new" wheels are now on the green one, half scale cat having approved the shelf space ;)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63776

You have a minibus too jonny. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63804

Parts arrived, they do indeed fix the silly rear toe in issue :y: but the sticky out bits of the uprights don't match the notches in the antirotation bits I made. Not sure I really want to be out in the shed in zero weather to turn the blanks for new ones :(

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63805

You need to get yourself one of these JR ;) 

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

My M chassis builds 3 years 4 months ago #63826

Made new retainers, ideally I'd also make new spacers rather than use all those washers ... truck now performs equally well in reverse as forwards, but the left track unit spat out a couple of M2 screws so I'm going to have to dismantle it to see where they're coming from :S

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

My M chassis builds 3 years 3 months ago #63828

wow

Last edit: by Lemsko.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.