Keyword

TOPIC:

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 7 months ago #52001

Nice work. I am working on a Taisan body also. But putting it on a TA03RS
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 7 months ago #52067

Well after a bit of a lull in actually doing some hands on RCing it’s back on with the Taisan
Time to strip it down to nuts and bolts and get it in various potions and lotions for a bit of a clean
Strip down complete and ready for a deep clean

Before:

After:

Well time to start the rebuild :) :) :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 7 months ago #52068

:woohoo: a dream.
I permit an advice. Paint the centre of the rimsin gold. It will be more realistic.

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52188

Ok, totally blame my interest in a Taisan on Alan :laugh: . I had one of these when they first come out and ran it into the ground, great car and I always liked the rear wide wheel base, just makes the car looks awesome.

I have been on a mission to get a Taisan original shell, decals and a 47321 kits for parts. Now I hope with help I can pull apart the differences in parts to hopefully end up with a new original build. This seems the best place to start this conversation, maybe it’s already been done in detail (I couldn’t find any obvious topic).

So let’s start with the chassis plate, the one included in the GT2 47321 kit pictured below has differences, notableythe ABS stamped on and what looks like a machined out bar to rub away some previous numbers. I’ve seen a few tamiya examples of this and I’m sure it’s a modification to an original mould or drawing.

I also picked up a job lot TA02 RS kit that has a new tub, pictures below, stamped with Rcc civic, can anyone clarify if this is stamped the same as an original Taisan?

Attachments:

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52191

I have been on a mission to get a Taisan original shell, decals and a 47321 kits for parts.

Now that sounds starngely familiar! I'm on the exact same path, and you, Rob, helped me with the Taisan decals, so I don't have to break my NIB Taisan body set B)

I will be watching this thread regarding both Alan's build and info regarding differences on the curently available TA02SW chassis' and the vintage one.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52192

I thought you was Lars, hoped you’d have an input too.

I’ve found the labelling on the body different which I will picture, but once made its on the discarded part, so I will scrutinise the mould. I have also seen a difference on wheels, the newer version have abs stamped on the inner part.

Tyres - I’m yet to pull the details apart.

Looking forward to anything you can add as we hopefully do this project in tandem.

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52193

Rob,
The "RCC Civic" chassis is almost definately the original TA02 / FF01 chassis, thus the correct one for the Taisan.
The "TA02" chassis was fist used on the FF01 chassis, where the "Civic" (58121 Idemitsu Motion Mugen Civic) was the first one to be released, in July 1993.
It's all following Tamiya's old tradition to name the parts with the name of the first model using the part.

So, this (image below) is an original TA02 chassis as used in the Taisan. (that's my conclusion, at least...)

I also picked up a job lot TA02 RS kit that has a new tub, pictures below, stamped with Rcc civic, can anyone clarify if this is stamped the same as an original Taisan?

Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52194

... the newer version have abs stamped on the inner part..

The "<ABS>" (or <PC> in some cases, I'm sure there are others) stamps are proof that the parts are reissue, or more correct ; produced after legislation to mark all plastic parts over a certain size with plastic type (for recycle purposes)..
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52195

I noticed on my Taisan it did not have the “civic” stamp but also did not have the ABS stamp either
I believe mine to be original as I got it with box etc, but that doesn’t mean it is guarenteed 100%
The manual list chassis 50637

All tho it does not say Civic on it the 58121 is the model number for the civic

Attachments:

Last edit: by goldfish999.

TAISAN (58172) 5 years 6 months ago #52196

Good info!
That probably means that Tamiya made changes to the chassis from the earliest ones, marked "RCC Civic" in 1993, to the ones used on the Taisan in 1996.
The marking you have; "58121 / 0992070" is model number for, yep, the Civic, and the part number for the chassis. Sometimes Tamiya "bundeled" their 7-digit parts into 5-digit part numbers, thus making them more available. So in this case, 50637 = 0992070.

The interresting bit here is that the Civic 's chassis had part number 0445264, so Tamiya made a change in the chassis between the 58121 and 58171:

The 50637 / 0992070 part number was released in March 1995, a year before the Taisan, and the first model to use it was the 58139 AMG Mercedes-Benz C-Class DTM D2.

So, I usually consider parts older than the model to be good for any restoration, and would so in this case as well. But some may think that Alan's version (50637 / 0992070) is the only correct one, which I can understand.
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.