Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4781

That chassis looks fantastic... better than new with all those polished parts :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4796

transmitters/recievers
should get a transmitter from here

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4799

transmitters/recievers
should get a transmitter from here

The point was I wanted to use one of the correct period (1978/79) Acoms Mk.1 transmitters that match the rest of the radio gear in the car ... and as it turned out, they worked just as well as one of the 2.4ghz sets you suggested would :whistle:

Appreciate the thought though :)

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4801

ok :)

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4805

Looks like it will be too cold, wet & windy for spraying today, but I have painted the rear lights (4 coats of X-27 Clear Red & X-26 Clear Orange) + the mirror (2 coats of X-11 Chrome Silver :whistle: & X-22 Clear):

Attachments:

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4834

Weather was just about up to spraying, so I've puffed on another coat of white ... I did have some major second thoughts about the colour last night, after seeing yet another "restored" boxart colour scheme car on eBay ... complete with polished parts & "boxart" alloy bumper ...

I got a little depressed that this car was going to end up looking the same as everyone elses, even if it was a slightly different blue ... although looking at that eBay car, I would at least be realistic about its value when finished, and the paint wouldn't look like I'd put it on with a wire brush :whistle:

I do have to consider the value of this car when it's finished - I really do hope to hang on to it, but I can imagine I time when I do have to move it on - & I've seen the damage a non-boxart paintjob can do to the resale value - like halving it in some cases ... so boxart blue it is ... although I was very tempted to use "Applejack" for the 2nd colour & badword the consequences :D

It's made me focus on the "spare/runner" body though - I'm definately going to do that in Applejack & orange - not quite sure which way round yet, and I'm also thinking I might get some metallic brown in there too...

Spare re-re Scorcher body, Blitzer Beetle nose, sunroof & rear lights, window "rubbers" dremelled off, + some filler:

Also going to narrow the wheelarches & sills:

Done, and sanded:

Attachments:

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4839

Started work on a roll cage - I don't know how well it'll work, the styrene tube I'm using seems to be as non-stick as teflon - the poly glue & CA barely seem to stick it at all ...

Bent section had annealed aluminium gardening wire threaded through before softening with a hot air gun:

Don't think I'll do too much more than that, other than fitting plates on the ends so I can mount it in the car...

Filled up the mirror & wiper holes, and the rear windows:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4845

Did a bit more to the roll cage - now at least it'll be easier to fix it in...

In loose for now ...

Through the window ... think it would have been better with thicker tube, but I didn't have anything to use as a former & my attempts at bending the tube on its own were pretty disastrous ....

Did some more sanding too, including those awful lines halfway across the fenders ... here's some poor photos of the lines not being there any more :whistle:

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4847

Got the final coat of white on the "proper" body yesterday - it's fairly shiny considering the weather, but I couldn't really get it to show up in a photo :(

Attachments:

Re: (Mostly) Mk.1 Sand Scorcher 12 years 4 months ago #4852

Been thinking some more about the paintjob for the "spare" shell, I'm still keen on orange & nasty green ...

... but I did wonder what it would look like with the colours reversed ..

... not as good.

Also tried with the decals I had in mind ...

... which also don't work very well ...

... and with the "proper" decals ...

... I think the standard decals are the way to go, so tried it with the longer nose cone & window "rubbers" removed, and the back windows filled in ...

I'll be using a set of re-re decals & I'll have to work on the placement a bit, but I'm fairly happy with that :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.