Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7691

Just beautiful, the look brand new :cheer: !

nice build to follow, great work!!

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7694

Re: the screw shoulders - have you got the proper washers on the steering knuckles as 'seats' for the shoulder screws? (They sit in the circular recesses top/bottom of the knuckles) - They need to be there as they sit proud of the knuckle, effectively extending the length of the shoulder. They also stop the shoulder crushing into the plastic & binding it all up. Would've done 8, but only had the 4 M6 buttons to hand.... Yes they could indeed resemble sex on a stick, but having never tried that, I can only agree with you.
Poor handling is what gives a vehicle 'character' - why else could the old kwak triples have been so popular?

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7725

Re: the screw shoulders - have you got the proper washers on the steering knuckles as 'seats' for the shoulder screws? (They sit in the circular recesses top/bottom of the knuckles) - They need to be there as they sit proud of the knuckle, effectively extending the length of the shoulder. They also stop the shoulder crushing into the plastic & binding it all up. ...

One side did, the other didn't :blush:

... Poor handling is what gives a vehicle 'character' - why else could the old kwak triples have been so popular?

Speed, and the delusion that owning one made you a Grand Prix rider? Can't believe they were worse than a CX though :whistle:

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7726

Just had a go at running up the motors with the MSC & the power/economy switch ... one of the motors - the rusty one - is ok, the other knocks like mad :S

The switch seems to have been rewired so "power" mode runs both motors in parrallel, "economy" just spins one :whistle:

I've worked out what I need to do to get it to work correctly, so a full rewire is on the cards once I get some green wire.

I also priced up getting stainless fasteners for the rebuild, it came out at a couple of quid less than the truck cost :whistle: .... so I think I'll be reusing the old ones.

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7740

From memory, "Power" mode runs the motors in parallel, "Economy" runs them in series. If you have the switch to bits, you'll probably find one of its 'tracks' is pitted/burnt/dirty or the internal springy contact has stuck with heat/dirt - the 'knocking' might even turn out to be related to arcing in the switch.
Talk to 'King's Lynn nuts & bolts' for the stainless fasteners, I would've thought you could do the whole truck for less than a fiver.... (They'll post them too if you ask nicely) Trick to buying fasteners is ask what the minimum order charge/quantity is - 4x M3s can cost the same as 50x if you're not quick off the mark. It's also worth considering replacing self tappers with machine screws as they're easier/cheaper to come by. Also consider buying multiples of the longest fasteners & cutting them down, rather than 4 off those ones, 7 off those ones etc (Again to avoid minimum order/quantity costs)

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7744

...If you have the switch to bits, you'll probably find one of its 'tracks' is pitted/burnt/dirty or the internal springy contact has stuck with heat/dirt - the 'knocking' might even turn out to be related to arcing in the switch...

The power/economy switch is working fine ... well, it was ... it sounded pretty unlikely, but I thought I'd check, so was investigating how to take it apart it when itexplosively dismantled itself- one of the wipers & one of the springs is gone forever :(

The bits I could find, well, if you had a very small dinner, you could eat it off them :pinch:

Anyone got a spare?

The motor knocking is definitely the bushings - I ran it straight off the battery & it sounds like the top end of a Ford "Zetec" engine at startup :sick:

Talk to 'King's Lynn nuts & bolts' for the stainless fasteners, I would've thought you could do the whole truck for less than a fiver....

Now that's stretching my credulity a bit too far - I make it 342 fasteners on the Bullhead, 5 GBP wouldn't even cover the 60 M3 flange nuts needed :silly:

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7746

Hmmm i might have a spare switch laying around. Got a spare msc for the Clod i think.
Shall look into it tomorrow.

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7749

I think I have a spare MSC, resistor, and Power/economy switch. I'll zap it in the packet, and ship it tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, been hectic at work lately.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7754

Got a spare set of headlights for you aswell. Popped them in the packet too. :y:

Re: "Rough as a Badgers" Bullhead 12 years 3 months ago #7756

Here you go:

and a MSC, with resistor.
Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.