Keyword

TOPIC:

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74201

Wahoo... wires and wires and wires...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74202

Once everything was reassembled, we had to find a place for the gear shift servo.
As the steering servo was in place vertically there was no room.
So I decided to put the steering servo in horizontal position. Easier said than done, all the brackets had to be remade.

This being done, I will start working on the hydraulic system.
To operate the whole thing, i.e. the crane and the tipper, I will need 6 channels for the crane, 2 for the tipper and 1 for the hydraulic pump.2
Knowing that my FrSky X8R receiver only has 8 channels, I had no choice but to buy an S-Bus module to double the number of channels.

Once this was in place, I started programming the channel.
To test that everything was working properly, I had no choice but to fill the system with oil.

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74203

Usine à gaz.... congrats manu. This project is awesome. 

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74204

Hi Manu,

Nice project. I also build trucks and know, how much time you need for such a project.

Be carefull about the axles. I also used these in the past. After some driving, one after the other has blocked. Normally, it is because the screws of the differential come out. I opened all axles and used Loctite on the screws. Since then, never had any problems with them again. And I drove my truck sometimes with a total wight of more than 40 kgs and blocked differential threw dirt and gravel.

Probably too late for this project: do you know kraftwerk-zone.com/ ? As it is a programmable bus-system, you only have 3 wires per light unit (for example the lights on the front left is a combined module for light, turn signal, fog lights.... but only 3 wires). I used this system already several times and it is really nice.

The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74205

The test phase could therefore begin. If everything had gone as planned it would have been a first...
As usual it did not go as planned, the hydraulic system did not work. The pump was on and working. From the pressure it was generating, I guess that some pipes were not connected properly. I was sure I had followed the instructions in the manual...

So, no other choice than to start all over again and check one pipe at a time.

After checking and correcting the connection of some of the water pipes, I performed a new test.
This time...still no function!
On the other hand the pressure line coming from the pump burst under the pressure.

Well, after cleaning the oil that was everywhere, I started to check again. It turns out that the servos that came with the crane, 3 of them were blocked.
What is strange is that with a servo test everything worked, but as soon as the system was under pressure it did not work anymore. 

Attachments:

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74206

En effet ! ha ha ha
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74207

Hi Manu,

Nice project. I also build trucks and know, how much time you need for such a project.

Be carefull about the axles. I also used these in the past. After some driving, one after the other has blocked. Normally, it is because the screws of the differential come out. I opened all axles and used Loctite on the screws. Since then, never had any problems with them again. And I drove my truck sometimes with a total wight of more than 40 kgs and blocked differential threw dirt and gravel.

Probably too late for this project: do you know kraftwerk-zone.com/ ? As it is a programmable bus-system, you only have 3 wires per light unit (for example the lights on the front left is a combined module for light, turn signal, fog lights.... but only 3 wires). I used this system already several times and it is really nice.

Hi Eddy,
Thanks for the tip ! I didn't knew that those axles tended to block! Anyway the plan is to paint the chassis once everything is done, adjusted and in working order, so i think i will take them apart at that time.
Ummmm Kraftwerk, honestly i never heard about that but it seems really intresting !

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74208

After replacing and adjusting all the defective servos, I was finally able to perform a successful test!

There are still some adjustments to be made, but the basic functions are all working...and the whole system isn't leaking
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, mirrorman, GToddC5

Last edit: by Manotas. Reason: Video Link

Truck Project 1 year 4 months ago #74209

Well, now that everything is working the way I want, I can start working on the aesthetics.
So I started by removing the elements of the crane that were in red:

Then i sanded them :

I then applied a coat of anti-corrosion epoxy and painted it green.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, GToddC5

Truck Project 8 months 2 weeks ago #76792

It's been a while since I last wrote on the forum... I've always kept an eye on what's going on and I've continued to make progress on this project as well as on other restorations.As for this one, as usual I've had a few problems since my last post.In the meantime, I've changed my remote control operating system from Open TX to ETHOS, which is more machine-friendly.I took the opportunity to replace the conventional sticks with 3D sticks on my remote.

With this new ETHOS system, it was impossible to pair the remote control with the receiver. After some research, I also had to replace the card that manages the antenna and data transmission. 
It took a few more weeks for this to arrive. Once it arrived, everything was back in order and I was able to proceed with pairing.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: larbut, stingray-63, Ducksnuts

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.