Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68518

Sure! I would use 2 or 3 radio sets to make all work...  🤯🤪
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68529

Wahooo..  that's a crazy setup. 

ha ha ha yes indeed.
You almost have to be a IT guy/programmer to make it all work 

Well, being an IT guy, my experience is that it works when you finish the tests. And when you go live, it is a nightmare and will require more programmer TLC :-D
Good luck. Simple things are often the more efficient ones...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68533

I can agree there, I spent 13 years doing IT for "Phone House"  Carphone Warehouse over here. Everything went well before you actually put it to use :) 
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68579

Well, being an IT guy, my experience is that it works when you finish the tests. And when you go live, it is a nightmare and will require more programmer TLC :-D

Thanks for your encouraging words guys 
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68580

Slight progress this weekend....
I installed the components for the differential lock.
I had planned, as already mentioned, one servo for the differential lock and a second one for the center differential.
As I thought, this small servo is not powerful enough to control the 4 differentials.

After the installation and the connection of the 4 cables, the servo made a funny noise (like jumping gears).
For the moment I have no other choice than to connect the rear differentials to one servo and the front ones to the second one.

The tests revealed that the servo is able to lock two axles.

Now I have to find an ideal location for the second servo near the front axles.
But before finding this location, I wanted to finalize the front steering.

For this reason I opted for the installation of the steering servo between the rail spacing of the chassis.
A low position of the key would have had a negative influence on the ability to go in the field. Well, it's clear that this truck is not designed for rough terrain but I still wanted to keep some ground clearance.

Steering servo assembly :

To install this servo at the planned location, we had to remove the front part to be able to slide it between the rails of the chassis.

After dismantling the front part and the cabin, there was enough space for the installation

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68581

Thanks for your encouraging words guys 

I like when someone do complex things: "why would you do simple things while you can do complex things?"
It's nice work indeed you have done, and you were the one pulling the IT guy argument. Sorry if I share my experience :-D
I'm used to say that in IT, there is a key difference between practice and theory. I'm used to used the two following quotes related to it :
  • "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
  • "Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why"
I hope we'll see your experience in practice soon, because that looks like a marvel of engineering you are doing :)

I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, jord001

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68582

And here is the servo that has found its final location.

Mounting of this one directly to the frame with 4 screws.

Once this is done, it's time to move on to the "Go Live" stage of remote control programming...

I must admit that this part took me less time than expected but I still had to make some adjustments to the settings.

So I made the basic adjustments to make the dirctetion work perfectly according to the lever arm of the steering rod.
The independent left/right stroke adjustment was very useful as well as the offset.

I still have to program a mix so that the steering servo of the rear axle works in the opposite direction than the steering servo. I will start this procedure very soon.

As the steering works as I want it to, I continued on my way and programmed the ESC control of the hydrualic pump. To control an ESC I understood that I needed a proportional signal...but I don't have a free proportional channel.

After reading the manual of the remote control it turns out that it is possible to simulate such a signal and assign it to another channel.
So I assigned this signal to a channel, this same channel I assigned to an ON/OFF switch which allows me now to control the pump via the ESC with this switch

I am quite happy because I managed to do and program, so far, everything I wanted.
I still have to set up a mix to manage the rear steering.

More to follow soon.
Thanks for looking, Manotas

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001, Ducksnuts

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68583

• "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."
  • "Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why"
I hope we'll see your experience in practice soon, because that looks like a marvel of engineering you are doing :)

That is so true !
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68584

You did an awesome work Manu. The weight should be a lead brick. I can't wait to see it on the road.
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, jord001

Truck Project 2 years 6 months ago #68585

stingray-63 post=68584 userid=2953You did an awesome work Manu. The weight should be a lead brick. I can't wait to see it on the road.

Thanks for that guys !

I've been working on this project for 7 months now and I love the mechanical and programming challenges.

I still have a lot of restorations to do, but I needed a new challenge with this ambitious project.

I think that most of the mechanics are now done, barring any unforeseen events, and the programming challenge is just as exciting. This has forced me to step out of my comfort zone and catch up on the decades of backlog I've accumulated with my vintage quartz remotes...

Thanks for your encouragement

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, silvertriple, jord001

Last edit: by Manotas.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.